Return to Website

Veterinary Question and Answer

Ask me a question. Discuss a topic. Let's talk about pets and people!

Veterinary Question and Answer
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Heartworm
I am new to the Las Vegas area, and wanted a second opinion about heartworm prevention in dogs. I have been told by several people that since there are no mosquitoes, I don't have to worry about it. What about if I take my dogs to Lake Mead?
Views: 227   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 22, 2004 6:57pm
by drphilvegasvet
c
Chris
Pit Bull Opinion
I just read the Banning of the Great Dane letter and I was wondering what everyone's views on the American Pit Bull Terrier is? These Great American dogs have had a bad rap as of recent because of a few unknowledgeable people say these dogs attack for no aparent r...
Views: 202   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 14, 2004 10:43pm
by drphilvegasvet
k
kevin
lump on tail
My 5 yr. old beagle "Barney" has a lump on the underside of his tail about grape size. It is under the skin. What would cause this? He also has a torn ACL and is to have surgery Wed. I just found the lump should I be concerned?
Views: 210   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 31, 2004 11:53am
by drphilvegasvet
buying a puppy (family pet)
Hello, I was wondering if you know anything about Rainbow Park in Pickering Ontario. We are from Barrie Ontario, and considering buying a cockapoo puppy from them.(puppies ready May 26th) They have a web site www.rainbowpark.ca/aboutus.htm They seem reputable and I...
Views: 260   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 31, 2004 11:50am
by drphilvegasvet
My Goofy Dane
I have two concerns with my Dane,Sampson. #1 is his right ear. It wants to lay straight across his head. He was never cropped, it just started to grow like that in the past two weeks (he's 41/2 months). Is this normal and will it eventually hang normal like his left...
Views: 290   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 10, 2004 9:33pm
by drphilvegasvet
Great Danes
I would like to know if you are for real. After reading your article on Great Danes I find you ludicrous. I have cows in my back paddock that give of more gas than any Great Dane could possibly think of. The other question is what about the other dog people who go...
Views: 191   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 25, 2004 4:52pm
by drphilvegasvet
y
Yvonne
Sick Cat
What do you do if you beloved pet is ill and you cannot afford to take him into a vet's office?? Are there any options?? Payment arrangements?? I do have a vet but it is out of the question at his practice. My cat needs dental surgery and is getting worse. I hate to...
Views: 177   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 12, 2004 9:17am
by Yvonne
Halti Problem
Hi, I purchased the Halti for my 2yr old lab/hound cross about a month ago, I thought it was the greatest thing ever invented, I could finally walk him like a normal dog! But the halti has rubbed the hair off his face and actually cut through the skin, it's heali...
Views: 180   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 11, 2004 4:35pm
by drphilvegasvet
emergencies
My two dogs, one a chow mix and the other a lab pit mix, after 3 years of living together, got into a huge fight last night. The chow mix got the worst of it, and needed some help with a chewed up ear. Apparently the only emergency vet on the east side refused to see...
Views: 214   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 1, 2004 3:55pm
by Janice Richmond
Really Funny Simpsons Parody!!!
I found this really funny Simpson's Parody. I thought you guys might enjoy it Click here: The Singhsons URL: http://www.ansme.com/reference/humor/singhsons.html
Views: 166   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 1, 2004 4:18am
by The Simpsons
New bad dog habit
My dog, Spencer has recently taken up the habit of raiding the garbages in the house. He is 4 1/2 years old and hasn't ever had this habit prior to the last few months. There have not been any major changes in our home that would have caused this shift in behavior....
Views: 202   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 29, 2004 7:31am
by Brandy Douglas
v
Val
Licking up urine
Why would a dog lick up other dog's urine? My friend's male pug does this. Licks it off the grass, on garbage cans, etc.
Views: 174   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 29, 2004 6:10am
by kristy
died
my horse died i am so said help me
Views: 149   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 29, 2004 6:04am
by kristy
new puppy
I have a year old female chow. I just got a eight week old male Akita puppy yesterday. So my question is do you. Do you have any sugestions on how to make the get along better? Thanks so much, Alissa
Views: 181   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 21, 2004 5:26pm
by drphilvegasvet
m
marie
ear tumor/total ear canal ablation
Maxine my 13 year old chow has been having cronic ear problems for about 8 months now. Recently we had a videoscope done and she was diagnosed with papillary adenocarcinoma of the ear. She will be having surgery on the 13th of march,to remove the tumor and the whole...
Views: 775   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 12, 2004 8:50am
by drphilvegasvet
I need an African Casket
hello, I need to buy an african casket that has nice african carvings in it for a man of 6 feet 2 inches weighing about 250 pounds. Could you please call or email me and let me know the number of your brother. I am in the United States. Thank you Thoma...
Views: 191   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 12, 2004 3:37am
by Thomas Perry
k
Kathie
Cocker Ear Infections
I am helping a friend of mine who is in dog rescue. She recently rescued a 7 yr old male cocker spaniel that was neglected and abused by its previous owners. This poor guy had sores on his feet from chewing on them. He also had infections in both eyes, sores on his r...
Views: 141   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 11, 2004 1:17pm
by marie
mast cell tumor
I have a 10 year old boxer that was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor. She has a large golf ball sized tumor on her front right leg. It started bleeding and we have to wait 2 weeks for it to be removed. She has other tumor in her front arm pits, but they have been...
Views: 177   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 11, 2004 1:16pm
by marie
d
Destry
Kydney Disease - options and expectations
Hello, my friend, Punkin, a corgi, was recently diagnosed by the her Vet with Kydney disease. She has been on prescription food for a while. She stopped eating. We tried unsalted boiullon in her food and desperately tried regular dog food and even table scraps.....
Views: 176   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 1, 2004 8:19pm
by drphilvegasvet
j
JAY P
OLD DOG
MY QUESTION IS IAM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY OLDER DOG SHES UP THERE IN AGE SHE SEEMS TO BE BLIND AND HAS TROUBLE GETTING UP FROM A SLLEPPING POSITION AS WELL AS BEING ABLE TO BE STEADY ON HER FEET. IS THERE ANY THING I CAN DO FOR HER, OR EVEN GIVE HER (FOOD,MEDICINE)I...
Views: 221   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 26, 2004 6:04pm
by drphilvegasvet
My Abby whines
My Abby is about 4-5 yrs old german shepherd mix. I adopted her from a shelter in April last year. She had been chained to an abondoned pick up all her life with no attention (& I think very little food) and also abused. She is afraid of everything but has adjusted v...
Views: 284   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 18, 2004 9:44am
by dmpuppylove
Black lab and addison's disease
My lab That has addison's disease has been taken off Sodium Chloride usp 600 mg capsules and left on Florinef 0.1 mg two pills twice a day. The dog has developed severe loose stools not formed and like water. Also the dog is sheeding a lot, I can brush her three t...
Views: 216   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 12, 2004 1:21pm
by drphilvegasvet
l
Lisa
Line-Breeding German Shepherd
Hello, I am considering purchasing a German shepherd puppy but then I found out that the puppies were sired by there dams father. (The dam was the sires puppy). And I am wondering what kind of health problems and defects there can be at birth and also later in life i...
Views: 162   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 12, 2004 1:20pm
by drphilvegasvet
g
George
Surgical pins... should they be removed
Hi Dr.Phil I have a pair of 6 yr old rescued greyhounds. A year ago last October one of them shattered a bone in her foreleg. Two steel pins were implanted in the subsequent surgery. The dog has recovered completely but one of the pins now protrudes through her sk...
Views: 191   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 1, 2004 6:27pm
by drphilvegasvet
r
Robin
parakeet breeding
I am watching a friends parakeets. They are mating and exhibiting breeding behavior but the female is 8 yrs old. I gave them a nest box. Is she too old to breed?
Views: 178   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 1, 2004 6:03pm
by drphilvegasvet
h
Holly
doberman "bali"
Hi Dr Phil, We have a couple of Dobermans. Bali is 2yrs and has appeared to have developed a wart on her outer lip. It is cone shaped and is "cauliflower" in appearance. Just wondering if this needs to be checked, as maybe it is a growth that may need to be tes...
Views: 154   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 29, 2004 12:01am
by drphilvegasvet
Fleas and Tapeworms
My kitten recently vomited and there was a 3" white worm wiggling around in it. Some quick research on the Internet showed that this is a sign of tapeworm infection. My question is if tapeworms are transmitted through fleas and we don't have fleas in Las Vegas how di...
Views: 184   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 19, 2003 10:01am
by Thanks
kitten on meds - vomiting clear liquid --- please help
Our 10-week-old kitten went to the vet on Thursday (today's Saturday). She was diagnosed with pink eye, a kitty cold, and ear mites. She is on Amoxi drop .3ml 2x daily, tresaderm 2 drops each ear 1x day, and vetropolycin smeared in her left eye 3x daily. When we...
Views: 212   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 26, 2003 6:55pm
by Krys and Ted
collar question
I have a 9 month old chow puppy who has distroyed 2 collars in the past 3 weeks. She is not an outside dog she is only tied out some during the day (of course when it is cool and we are home to supervise) She pulls so hard trying to get loose to chase a squirrel she...
Views: 154   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 22, 2003 7:51pm
by Michelle
b
Brenda
Cairn Terrier
I am writing about our 15 year old cairn terrier, Sparky. He has not been neutered and he seems to have a growth on his ********* and they are swollen. He is slowing down but has really slowed down the past few days. I gave him a bath this morning, thinking the...
Views: 150   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 15, 2003 4:16am
by Brenda
puppy teeth
I am a dog groomer, so I see a lot of dogs and their problems. I often see in toy breeds puppy teeth, mainly canines do not fall out. Why? And why do most not vets check for this problem when they are being spayed or neutered, since the extra teeth can lead to dental...
Views: 193   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 6, 2003 8:40am
by drphilvegasvet
PET PSYCHICS
Dr. Vegas Vet, What are your feelings on PET PSYCHICS? Have you seen the ANIMALPLANET show? Do you think this is on the level?
Views: 192   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 5, 2003 6:57pm
by drphilvegasvet
smart bowl
Please....Please!!!! help me find the "smart bowl" that is mentioned in the book "227 Secrets Your Cat Wants You To Know." I've been trying the 800 number listed in the book for several months and it doesn't work. I have five cats and one with a liver shunt that is...
Views: 178   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 14, 2003 4:57pm
by Anneliese Simmon...
Dog with pemphigus vulgaris
My husband and I have been living in Bogota, Colombia fro 4 months now and our dog has been diagnosed with Pemphigus vulgaris. The veterinarians here have been trying their best to treat him but after 4 weeks he doesn't seem to get any better. He has lesions all over...
Views: 139   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 3, 2003 9:30am
by Claudia Parker
Looking for a vet
Coming to Las Vegas soon and looking for a vet for our animals. Do you believe in animal spirit? Not in a traditional religious sense. There are no Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, or Hindu dogs to my knowledge.....Cats may be Buddhists, but they haven't said anythin...
Views: 110   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 24, 2003 2:38pm
by Leslie Newman
k
krys
litterfree
On your website you asked if anyone has used the litterfree litter box. My husband and I have 4 cats and use this box. It is great! The litter is cleaned 3x a day, the cats use it, and we don't have to deal with the foulness of cleaning a litter box. We've had it...
Views: 147   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 5, 2003 5:14pm
by krys
c
Ceci
Sick Dog
I think my jerk neighbor poisoned my dog. My dog won't eat and when he does he vomits it later. What can I do for my dog besides taking him to the vet. It's been about 2 days.
Views: 164   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 14, 2003 8:05am
by Ceci
Black Lab
I live in London, Ontario and have a 6 year old black with addisons disease. The dog has been put on the following meds,Floanef, prednisone and salt tabs. What I was wondering can the dog live a happy and long life with this disease or would I be throwing good money...
Views: 151   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 9, 2003 4:12pm
by Dave Carrigan
ou old mini schnauzer
Hi! I'm searching for a reason! Our 12 year old miniature schnauzer has been acting strangely. Instead of sitting on the couch or begging at the table, he has been hiding in the bathroom and acts as if he is afraid of something. This happens in the late afternoon...
Views: 143   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 5, 2003 6:59pm
by Janice Miura
cat
Will my cat stay nuts if she is in heat or gets fixed? Will she stop clawing my face to?
Views: 151   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 21, 2003 5:49am
by Ana Houston
No Subject
Hi Dr. Phil! I have this pit bull mix dog that goes nuts looking for cats outside. I let her in the house at when I get home, but immediately wants to go back outside to "see" if any cats have suddenly taken advantage of her lack of presence and come in the back y...
Views: 134   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 16, 2003 2:41pm
by Anonymous
Canine Hydrocephalus
I'm looking for information on hydrocephalus in small puppies (2 weeks). I would like some genetic, hereditary information if there is any out there.
Views: 169   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 15, 2003 6:31am
by Alix Kerr
I want a dog
Dr. Phil, I would love to have a small dog, but I can be away from home some days up to twelve hours or more. Is there a breed that you would recommend that does good on its own for several hours? I have not gotten one yet because I would feel guilty leaving it...
Views: 187   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 18, 2002 1:06pm
by Russell
j
Joyce
Kitten with broken leg
What options are available for kitten that has broken her leg, twice?
Views: 167   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 16, 2002 11:49am
by Joyce
No Subject
what about my golden retriever who is sweetest dog inthe world but will bite & growl when approached with a brush to groom her
Views: 160   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 23, 2002 5:21pm
by Anonymous
1 2
Free Forum powered by Bravenet