Return to Website

Veterinary Question and Answer

Ask me a question. Discuss a topic. Let's talk about pets and people!

Veterinary Question and Answer
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Black Lab

I live in London, Ontario and have a 6 year old black with addisons disease. The dog has been put on the following meds,Floanef, prednisone and salt tabs. What I was wondering can the dog live a happy and long life with this disease or would I be throwing good money after bad. And is there any other meds that would work better.

I will also tell Merv that I e mailed you the next time I take my computer in for service.

Yours Truly

Dave Carrigan

Addison's disease

Hi,

In my experience, Addison's dogs do very well with the appropriate treatment and can live a long life. We are currently treating a black Lab with diabetes, hypothyroidism and Addison's--and this pet has done well for several years.

In our clinic, we use an injection called DOCP which works very well. It is given underneath the skin about once a month and there is usually no other need for oral medication. The injection should be available in Canada--although I would ask your vet about it. The drawback? It ain't cheap. The cost of treating a Rottweiler was about $100 U.S. a month. However, Florinef isn't cheap either.

Hope your pet is doing well. I wouldn't hesitate to treat him.

Email me back if you have any further questions.

Hope my dad is behaving himself.

drphil

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I live in London, Ontario and have a 6 year old black with addisons disease. The dog has been put on the following meds,Floanef, prednisone and salt tabs. What I was wondering can the dog live a happy and long life with this disease or would I be throwing good money after bad. And is there any other meds that would work better.

I will also tell Merv that I e mailed you the next time I take my computer in for service.

Yours Truly

Dave Carrigan