Return to Website

Veterinary Question and Answer

Ask me a question. Discuss a topic. Let's talk about pets and people!

Veterinary Question and Answer
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
new puppy

I have a year old female chow. I just got a eight week old male Akita puppy yesterday. So my question is do you. Do you have any sugestions on how to make the get along better? Thanks so much, Alissa

Re: new puppy

Hi,
The Chow likely thinks that she is Queen of the castle and she will not want to give up the throne easily. Chows are a dominant breed . . . and they often do not get along with other dogs. I know this from personal experience; I owned a Chow for 13 years. Unfortunately, Akitas can also be extremely dominant towards other dogs so . . . .

I would encourage you to find a good trainer as soon as possible for BOTH dogs. It is very important that you work closely with a professional who can guide you with your two dogs. I have seen too many dog fights between breeds such as these because the owners neglected to get proper behavioural training at an early age. It would not be fair to you or your dogs for me to give you superficial information over the internet.

I apologize for not being able to help you further. This is a potentially difficult situation and I hope you can get the help you need.

Good luck,
drphilvegasvet