Return to Website

Veterinary Question and Answer

Ask me a question. Discuss a topic. Let's talk about pets and people!

Veterinary Question and Answer
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lickgranuloma?

I pulled up this web site after putting in a search for lick granuloma and I'm so glad your website popped up. I have an 8 year old lab that has the sore on his front leg that is just terrible. He even went in for surgery 3 weeks ago and the vet called and said it was so large now that he couldn't do the surgery. What I'm worried about are the little pockets that enlarge with blood (like little cysts) and this tiny little hole appears and it finally drains out. I've put bandages on his leg this week but I'm afraid I'm making it worse (looks worse anyways). I'm thinking it needs to AIR heal instead of being bandaged but he does quit licking it when he can't get to it. The size of this thing is 3-1/2 inches long and about 2 inches wide. He has been on antiboiotics for about 12 days and I swear I don't see any improvement so I began putting neosporan and Betadine on it, then wrapping with a bandage. Now I don't know if its just getting worse or if I made it worse trying to make it better. Me and rascal are going crazy about this thing. I actually have him wearing old long sleave cotton t-shirts of mine so the sore can get air instead of putting bandages on it all the time. 120 pound chocolate male labadore wearing a bright print girly t-shirt is quite cute, but you can actually see the blood and drainage that seeps out quite alot on the sleeve. The bandages now stick to the same areas, so when I remove the bandages they hurt him and they begin to bleed again after removal. Please tell me what else I can do for my dog. Thank you very much for putting this web site up.

Darline

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lickgranuloma?

These stories are sooo sad. Lick granulomas are very difficult problems but it seems like you are a great mom so I'll try to offer you some suggestions without the benefit of a full exam and prior history.

It is essential that he not lick at that area. This will be the hardest part of the therapy. The tshirt is a great idea, even if it is not the most fashion forward statement. Bandages are fine, as long as he leaves them alone and you change them frequently (sometimes as often as once daily). You might want to ask your vet about telfa pads which don't stick to the wounds (ouchless!).

12 days of antibiotics are not very long although I would expect to see SOME improvement, especially if he is not licking at that area. Which antibiotic are you using? I have kept some dogs on antibiotics for six weeks, although this is "extra-label" use in most cases.

If you are not getting enough information from your vet, then ask about a referral. If this turns into a chronic problem, then it can be impossible to clear up completely.

Good luck!!
drphil

Re: Lickgranuloma?

Dear athalfjap and everyone else,

My dog is 1 year old Alaskan Malamute and she has the exact same symptoms. Only the vet gave me something to put directly on the sore and it didn't help. So I got her a head coller to see if that helps and she also looks at me to take the dang thing off.

The vet told me that when she licks the sore it becomes a bad habit, so I have to try to break the "Bad Habit". I resently discovered that if you give her a bath in warm water with baby shampoo and then after she air drys put baby powder all over her fur ( make sure you get the sore spot(s)) it seems to make the her feel better and not lick herself.

It should help you out.

Sicerely,

jol1987

Re: Re: Lickgranuloma?

Hi Everyone!

I have a 5 year old boxer named Chopper,lovely dog,but he licks and has Lickgranuloma,I took
dog to vet and he says sometimes when their thyroid
isn't putting out enough of whatever it puts out
they begin to lick,He gave me some thyroid pills and
that worked for awhile,but then he went back to licking,I now put an ointment on his paw called
resinol,when I put this on him,its a thick ointment
so it doesnt come off easily,and then I dress his
foot with a kids sock and then I tape this,and change
his dressing once a day in two days his sores were gone.