Return to Website

Veterinary Question and Answer

Ask me a question. Discuss a topic. Let's talk about pets and people!

Veterinary Question and Answer
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2 Puppies

Hi,
I don't think you will have any problems getting the two dogs to obey as long as you do proper obedience training. If you haven't had experience with obedience, then I suggest classes. Not only are these classes very informative for the owners, but it also provides a forum for the dogs to socialize properly with other dogs.

Yes, labs are a lot of work and you need a lot of space for them to play and exercise. However, having two dogs may be a little LESS work in some respects. Two labs will likely happily play with each other for hours on end, thus saving your arm from endless ball throwing.

The dogs will likely bond with each other but I've never heard of that being a problem. Labs also bond very strongly with their owners too so you shouldn't feel too left out

Make sure you get them both neutered at six months. You wouldn't want them developing sibling rivalry, which can happen when two dogs (usually not neutered) decide to fight for the top dog position after they enter puberty. Labs tend to be fairly happy-go-lucky so we don't see this problem in this breed as often as some of the others.

Good luck. I bet they are way too cute at this age.

drphilvegasvet