Welcome to the KWSC Forum

Return to Website

I will be turning this forum off in April - please use the link from the KWSC website to use the new embedded forum. Thank you.

Index > General > General Forum > Sailing down the Tyne
Forum: General Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Sailing down the Tyne

Does anyone have any experience of sailing on the upper reaches of the Tyne that they could share with me?

I am particularly interested in the tidal behaviour in the areas between Newburn and Central Newcastle.

I am planning a sail down the Tyne from Newburn to South Sheilds, if anyone fancies it.

With the tide flowing I reckon that this could be done in one tide. (Although with pontoons at the Pitcher and Piano and the Elephant on the Tyne this might stretch to two tidal cycles :-)

We would have to shoot the Swing bridge and Millenium bridge but Wayfarers etc. which can drop their masts under sail will be fine. Boats without swinging masts might be able to do this at autumn equinox later this
month. (I am trying to find HAT information for the two bridges as it would be nice to sail under them.)

If you fancy it, drop me an email.

Ravi

Email  
Re: Sailing down the Tyne

Bob and I have discussed such an expidition. I believe that it's pretty much free sailing apart from the jetski club by the Newburn bridge where we may need to get advance permission to sail through. There are also some rules about regatta sailing, so if there were a few of us, it would be worth informing the port authority. They might be abale to advise regarding shipping too - don't want to get run over by a North Sea ferry.

I thought it was probably possible to set off at high tide and sail most of the way to the sea before it turns, then sail back. But sailing ALL of the way to the sea with a couple of stops for provisions sounds like a better idea ;)

I would love to do it, family situations allowing!

Peter

I would have a quick chat to someone from the RYA NE committee. Much of their work is associated with securing access to water, including rivers. Alternatively give someone from Tynemouth SC a call. They run a winter series on the Tyne & in the off season, sail out of Newburn.

David Weheldon Chair of the RYA NE Committee is at KWSC this Satrday so why not have a chat then Ravi.

Steve

Email  

Could be on for this - the Wayfarer is simple to rig for shooting bridges. Where would you launch from at Newburn?

Email  

speaking from a canoeing perspective I can confirm there are no access issues on this stretch as it is all tidal. You'll have to drop your masts for the scotswood pipe bridge too.

with my yachty hat on I would advise you phone call the port of tyne authorities at least 24hrs in advance of using the pontoons at the P&P as is the advice in the nautical almanac. I moored there a few years ago. its was free and the authoritis were very helpful.

I have a (very old) admiralty chart of this stretch which you're welcome to borrow. I'm hoping to be at the club tomorrow so I'll try to remember to chuck it in the car.

Rob (Dracombe Coaster - Wildcat)

Email  

My pilot book says that both the swing bridge and the millennium bridge have clearance of 4.5m at MHWS, or they can be opened but you need to give 24h notice. I imagine, also, that if you give 24h notice you need to be there on time!

I don't know how high a Wayfarer mast is above the water, but I reckon I could do it quite easily in the Mirror by dropping the gaff. Might just measure the standing part of the mast first though! Actually I might manage at low water without dropping the gaff - does anybody know the difference in tidal heights at that point on the Tyne?

Judy

Good suggestion about checking with the SSSC winter Newburn sailors.

I also found some info on skipper2skipper http://www.skipper2skipper.com/wiki/England:River_Tyne

Daydreaming out my office window on the Quayside at the last springs, there seemed to be a huge clearance under the swing bridge at low tide. I suspect that sailing at neaps and shooting the bridges might be the more sensible (and less embarrassing) option, though. I must try fitting a block on the mainstay and see how it goes.

Peter - you can ask Neil about what it is like being becalmed in front of a Norway ferry. ....
Or what it is like to sail backwards up the Tyne in a 5 knot current with the tall ships. No doubt, he will blame his crew on both occasions! Lies, all lies

Ravi

Email  

I quite fancy this jaunt - although I would use our Mirror as its got a road trailer and it would fit more easily under the stated obstructions.

Of course with everything else, it all depends on the date for our availability. I would also try and get hold of an outboard motor to try and avoid scenarios that I have experienced previously

Exciting stuff!

I'm up for it. Sounds like a cruise with a difference.

Email  

I think outboards would be really useful for this. I can see how risky the combination of light wind, strong tide and a narrow, busy channel could be!

Would this be suitable for Drascombes, I wonder? I can get the mast down fairly easily - and carry an outboard as standard. If so, count me in.

Email  

The place to launch from is the large slipway, north side of the river, the entrance is directly opposite the Newburn riverside visitors centre. The gate is normally locked and a notice says to contact the leisure centre so I spoke to a guy called Jason Carroll(he runs water activities at Whickhope). He was extremely helpful and said it wouldn't be a problem at all. Had a look at Newburn bridge - the Wayfarer mast is 6.88 metres long ..hmm..could be the first shoot! Jason also advised contacting the Port of Tyne.

Email  

Sounds like fun but I couldn't do it in the gp as I can't swing the mast. Happy to crew for someone though.

Email  
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Free Guestbooks 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com