FELT Forum

Welcome to our Felt/Denim/Go-Kart Mozart forum. Feel free to post a message.

FELT Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Nigel's Posts

But why is there any difficulty where any of this is concerned in any case? I was asked by a follower of this forum to add some insights after my initial post or two. That is all I ever intended; then I was going to disappear into obscurity again. All of this is pretty much academic only. How do I know who all of you are? This is not a T.V. show; it’s a forum site. You either accept what is said or you don’t. Just leave it if you don’t like it. Like Oliver says on the "Foxtrot" site, it's up to you what you want to say about yourself. Personally, if I had a gun-shot wound, I would not be lying on the operating theatre table demanding that the surgeon give me his/her name, life-story and two forms of I.D, before I'll allow them to do what is good for me. Who cares who they are? What is important is what they can do in order to improve your situation. That is what Dave wanted. Others didn't. But that is O.K., either way, because the forum can accommodate an infinite number of people, and an infinite number of comments. One good thing has come out of all of this. It can now be seen that there are different groups of people who want to talk about things in a certain way. An people who have never commented on this site have now joined it and want to express themselves. The point of my message is this: this does not have to be single forum only. There can be a forum within a forum; even a forum within a forum that is within a forum. It is a big place and it can accomodate you all. It is not the case that I have divided the forum. It is simply the case that people are finding where they want to be and with whom they find an attraction (in the strictly non-sexual sense, that is). So if you see soemthing that you like, then join that discussion, and if you feel repelled by something, then leave it alone. There is room for different groups of forum users. This is what I should have done and I realise now that I did not have to try and convert people.I am probably just inexperienced at using forums. When I want to speak to someone I normally just use the phone. So don't make the same mistake as me. Just move on. I've done that now, and I won't interfere again.
And now to my most important point. Do not concern too much about nice little stories. They tantalise, but they are not the best subject matter to discuss; not where Felt is concerned. Now you are all sorted out into and feel comfortable with you want to be with on the forum, you should talk to each other about how it is that Felt music makes you feel, how it affects you and your life - your thoughts and feelings - and how they respond to the music, in other words. Remember what Mr. D. said. He entered music in order to make sense of things. I have found in my experience that repeated exposure to Felt with a critical ear explains things that are meaningful, and I only have my experience to go on. So do not concern get too tied up with who said what and who is who. Felt is a living experience and it is bigger than us all.

By the way, Nuno, I first encountered the name Nuno because of a very good guitarist called, Nuno Bettencourt (I am not sure of the spelling of his second name, but it sounds the way I've written it). As I understand it, he is a Portuguese American. A very very fine player he is as well.

Despite the deep embarrassment that this discussion has caused in me, I so far have been quite reluctant to take part in it, my reasons being a fear of speaking in anyone else's name and my general phobia of discussion forums of all sorts. Although Mr. Silver has proven that he needs no assistance in making his point convincingly, I can conceive that his position within the contention might deprive him of the opportunity to say things that could very well be said by any external observer. Wondering if finding my name in here is an invitation to speak up or not, I will see what I can do. I believe this intervention to be motivated not as much by my interest in the present discussion as by the distressing feeling I have that mistrust is becoming more and more trivialised in this world, affecting people's capacity to communicate with each other. In particular, I have found quite disturbing the facility with which some users of this forum resign themselves to accept ambition and self-interest as satisfying motives for one's actions. I have a comment related to the above-mentioned Foxtrot discussion, elements of which have now disappeared from view. Those thinking that Mr. Silver could be interested in gaining their blessing by queuing at the scanner with his birth certificate might be giving their opinion more importance than necessary. Also his refusal to do so does not really stand as an argument for anything. It was claimed that Mr. Silver had been sent to deliver the truth, not to argue about it. Truths may be ignored but, by definition, can't be contested. Mr. Silver spoke of honesty and dignity and, let's face it, was received with distrust and vanity. Well, this is depressing. With Mr. Silver's last contribution we now have all the pieces to our jigsaw. Still, I like to think that words exist independently of whoever has written them, just like a horse without its pedigree papers remains a horse. Ideally, it would be useful to provide the sceptical among us with scientific evidence for the authority of Mr. Silver on Felt matters. Additionally, it would be interesting to explain others, all politically correct hypocrisy aside, how defamatory suspicions and public slandering can hardly inspire any emotion better than contempt and unsurprisingly lead to bitterness. Though I doubt such efforts would really help in this case. As someone pretty smart once wrote, elegance and dignity are taught by the heart, not by the dancing master. An advice would then be, let us listen to our hearts, listen to our Felt records again, and let our ugly duckling turn into a graceful swan.

I was not going to respond at all, but the forum history shows that Mr Silver was responding in what can at the very least be described as an extremely defensive manner to questions put to him before I even entered this debate - for, lets face it, it was me who first questioned his identity and this is somehow where everything seems to be being directed. I questioned his identity as a challenge - because of course there are several people on here who operate under aliases - fair enough - but by the time I had questioned this he was already insulting myself and others on this forum - and as I said before - it is spineless to insult people under an alias. I did not cause this "bitterness" - it was already well in evidence. Mr Silver made a promise not to return to this forum which he has quickly broken. I'll be making the same one now and sticking to it - as people seem to be defending the indefensible on here. And Olivier - how can asking if he is Maurice Deebank be a "defamatory suspicion"? I would have thought being labelled pathetic, having childish nicknames based upon my surname and having my debates linked in some unconventional matter to the shooting of a member of Pantera is far more defamatory. Goodbye. And to Nigel - the second line of "Something Sends Me To Sleep" springs to mind.

Dear Nigel,

Today I’m very happy, My Maurice Deebank CD arrived directly from Cherry Red Records and I’m having the REAL pleasure of listening to 4 new songs and re-listening those fantastic guitars from 1984!

I think now your entity issue is resolved…

I would love to meet Maurice Deebank, I was also a guitar player (very bad one), but for taking a good Porto wine and not to take guitar lessons, I’m too old now and why take lessons from him when we’ve his music? I’m very sad that something bad happen to Maurice Deebank, is something like Stephen Hawking? Well, not really important… so many things we cannot answer… who kill JFK? who kidnapped Maddie? Is there ET life? And so on… And that’s why everyone has an opinion… Is there any music from Maurice Deebank from 1992 until now or until his major incapacitating health issue?

We’re all here, so you didn’t divide anyone… And off course Felt is bigger than us all, but also was only a band that in 10 years, produced 10 surprising albums! And that's why I can resist asking Mr. Lee McFadden, are you 10 or 12? Since you maybe something in the middle why not listen to “Study No. 1” from Maurice Deebank as a case study? Did you find the music beautiful and relaxing? Your next post will be better, I’m sure! (I hope you have some English humor).

Unfortunately I’m not Nuno Bettencourt, well, I’m younger, that’s a good thing! By the way, Nuno Bettencourt come from Azores Islands and that’s a tremendous place to get vacations!

Next I will maybe buy Felt DVD! And try to find some tracks I never listen to, thanks Robert for the great post!

By the way, today was a great beach day, if you feel too much grey above you (vulcan ashes) come to Portugal and you will feel better.

Nuno

Nuno
Dear Nigel,

Today I’m very happy, My Maurice Deebank CD arrived directly from Cherry Red Records and I’m having the REAL pleasure of listening to 4 new songs and re-listening those fantastic guitars from 1984!

I think now your entity issue is resolved…

I would love to meet Maurice Deebank, I was also a guitar player (very bad one), but for taking a good Porto wine and not to take guitar lessons, I’m too old now and why take lessons from him when we’ve his music? I’m very sad that something bad happen to Maurice Deebank, is something like Stephen Hawking? Well, not really important… so many things we cannot answer… who kill JFK? who kidnapped Maddie? Is there ET life? And so on… And that’s why everyone has an opinion… Is there any music from Maurice Deebank from 1992 until now or until his major incapacitating health issue?

We’re all here, so you didn’t divide anyone… And off course Felt is bigger than us all, but also was only a band that in 10 years, produced 10 surprising albums! And that's why I can resist asking Mr. Lee McFadden, are you 10 or 12? Since you maybe something in the middle why not listen to “Study No. 1” from Maurice Deebank as a case study? Did you find the music beautiful and relaxing? Your next post will be better, I’m sure! (I hope you have some English humor).

Unfortunately I’m not Nuno Bettencourt, well, I’m younger, that’s a good thing! By the way, Nuno Bettencourt come from Azores Islands and that’s a tremendous place to get vacations!

Next I will maybe buy Felt DVD! And try to find some tracks I never listen to, thanks Robert for the great post!

By the way, today was a great beach day, if you feel too much grey above you (vulcan ashes) come to Portugal and you will feel better.

Nuno

Well said Nuno (maybe not baiting Lee, but the rest of it makes sense to me, and I appreciate you were joking ).

Anyway, it is nice to see Nigel back in inimitable style, and some of the mystery of MD cleared up once and for all. Chinese whispers yet again leading to some fantastic Felt stories, equally interesting to the more grounded version of events.

I'd like to see the Felt history as laid out by Nigel put together in some chronological sense & without the bickering that often interspersed them. As the various posts have received responses (or not), the actual order of them became increasingly jumbled. Probably a relatively simple copy & paste job, but I feel that it is not necessarily my place to do this.

It would be a shame to have Nigel's insight overshadowed by the backbiting and sniping that surround them - they merit far more than that.

Most of all though, I'd like to see more references to Black Flag vocalists (Keith Morris gets my vote) & British heavy metal in general on the board (I never could get my head around Pantera, and Extreme were too poodle rock for my tastes)