FELT Forum

Welcome to our Felt/Denim/Go-Kart Mozart forum. Feel free to post a message.

FELT Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Felt - first performance?

In about 1980 I went to see The Fall at the Cyprus Tavern, near UMIST, in Manchester. The Fall played later in one room but earlier, in another room, the support band played about five songs, all instrumentals I think. Afterwards one of them said that that was their first public performance.
I can't remember much more apart from at the time I thought this band sounded fantastic.
This vague memory has stayed with me for 30 years but I am not sure if it was Felt. Does anyone think it could have been them?
Thanks
Spencer

Re: Felt - first performance?

Where's Nigel Silver when you need him? Hi-ho, Silver - away!

Hi Spencer

I can't confirm that it was Felt that you saw, but I understand that their first 3 gigs were supporting The Fall, the first one in Manchester and the third at The Marquee. I think it was via The Versatile Newts single that someone sent to Mark E Smith. He in turn liked it enough to ask them to support The Fall, by which point the Newts no longer existed but Felt did.

The Fall's unofficial (but reliable and comprehensive!) website - http://www.visi.com/fall/gigography/gig80.html - lists them playing The Cyprus Tavern on Wednesday 14th May 1980 (but not the Marquee immediately afterwards - that show wasn't until 23/7/80). So it sounds about right for the first Felt gig and in answer to your question, yes I think it was them (which raises the question where was the second gig). Lucky you !!

Matt

PS, I did have some brief but friendly email exchanges with Nigel around about the time that everything blew up on here. If no-one can come up with a definite answer, I'll see if I can find his address and drop him a line.

Nigel's address?

sockpuppet@deebank.com?

Thanks for that Matt.
I looked on the Fall website. Strange but I seem to recall The Fall playing two nights running at the Cyprus Tavern but it doesn't show that.
The only other thing I recall about Felt was one of them leaning over and tuning the other ones guitar between songs because he was the only one that could do it! As I have said I can't even remember if anyone sang but I can remember that the Cyprus was a rough old place. I saw a fair few fights there but the music was always excellent from the DJ and from different bands, many from the Manchester Musicians Collective.
Thanks again.

Spencer
Thanks for that Matt.
I looked on the Fall website. Strange but I seem to recall The Fall playing two nights running at the Cyprus Tavern but it doesn't show that.
The only other thing I recall about Felt was one of them leaning over and tuning the other ones guitar between songs because he was the only one that could do it! As I have said I can't even remember if anyone sang but I can remember that the Cyprus was a rough old place. I saw a fair few fights there but the music was always excellent from the DJ and from different bands, many from the Manchester Musicians Collective.
Thanks again.

No worries at all.

Unfortunately I'm only really summing up what I have read in the past, rather than offering a definitive answer. I think I've seen somewhere that Nick needed help tuning his bass, but that might be doing him a massive disservice! All in all, it sounds more & more like you were priviledged to see the first ever Felt show.

As for The Fall's website, though stunningly comprehensive, it is unofficial, and as far as I know, the gigography is based on information that has been supplied from readers - just because only one night at the Cyprus Grove is listed doesn't mean two didn't take place.

Finally, did you see this thread: http://pub27.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2284341502&frmid=34&msgid=970280&cmd=show
It adds a bit of background/historical context to what you likely saw.

Cheers
Matt