FELT Forum

Welcome to our Felt/Denim/Go-Kart Mozart forum. Feel free to post a message.

FELT Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Where are the royalties?

That sounds a bit harsh, I certainly don't get the impression Lawrence is rolling around in cash meant for others! I've no idea how many records Felt sold (a few thousand copies per album was seen as decent back in those mid 80s Indie days I think?) but there was certainly never a 3 million seller like Screamadelica and Martin was only in Felt for 4 years (85-89) compared to his 30 years in Primal Scream.

I've never heard Felt's music used in adverts like I have the Primals, and BMG didn't chuck Felt 5 million to buy their back catalogue either. It does sound like Primal Scream shafted him badly but I think it's unfair to suggest Lawrence & Cherry Red have held much back from Martin. Lawrence has proudly called Martin a genius musician and said it was inevitable he would go on to bigger things after he left Felt. Also Lawrence gave Martin songwriting credits on The Pictorial Jackson Review & Train above the City albums so his time in Felt was a great apprenticeship and at the very least probably set him up for his next move.

I only met him once at the Felt Photo book signing session at Rough Trade but he said he loved being in Felt (I read somewhere (probably on here) he cried with emotion at the final gig) & this book event was probably 20 years after they split but he was happy to be there. Also from what I've heard Cherry Red are one of the good honest labels (I've never read much negativity towards them compared to say Fire Records for example). I'm guessing but it's probably that there just isn't that many royalities generated annually to ex Felt members sadly.

It's a tragic loss though and I certainly felt for his son reading the report. RIP Martin