Return to Website

Veterinary Question and Answer

Ask me a question. Discuss a topic. Let's talk about pets and people!

Veterinary Question and Answer
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dr's Dr.

Dr.

Was seaching the web for indigenous animals in Las Vegas and I came across you...thank you! It was difficult to read you're leaving Las Vegas for California, but change is good...

Because of the climate/enivromental change not to mention the snakes, spiders and others I'm finding it difficult to relocate. I know my babies (3 dogs) would chase anything that moves...how can I overcome my phobias and what are MY MISCONCEPTIONS?

Signed
MOVING IN JUNE OR JULY.

Thank you!

Re: Dr's Dr.

Hi,
So, you're off to the bright lights of Las Vegas? I'm sure you'll have fun. The city treated me well during my 11 years there.

I wouldn't worry too much about your dogs. Certainly the risk does increase if you let them run wild in the desert (because you are potentially exposing them to rattlesnakes) but for typical housepets they should be quite safe.

Most people hire exterminators once a month to get rid of any black widows which are apparently quite common. During my stay there, I never saw one although I wasn't exactly looking for them. However, none of my three dogs found one either.

I remember only three particularly nasty snake or spider bites. Two were dogs and one was a cat. All three survived with just supportive care. So you can see that the risk is quite low.

I think you'll have a lot more things to worry about. Like, why in the heck are you moving to Las Vegas in July when the temperature soars to 115 degrees??

Good luck!
drphil