Return to Website

Veterinary Question and Answer

Ask me a question. Discuss a topic. Let's talk about pets and people!

Veterinary Question and Answer
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: dog flu what is it?

There is a lot of media hype surrounding this "dog flu" otherwise known as the canine influenza virus. I would like to post some information from the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association to help sort out the fact from the fiction.

"The disease caused by the highly contagious virus can mimic the signs of kennel cough. All dogs, regardless of breed or age, are susceptible to infection and do not have naturally acquired or vaccine-induced immunity, according to the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine. The virus can spread by aerosolized respiratory secretions, contaminated inanimate objects, and by people moving between infected and uninfected dogs.

While most dogs that become infected expereince a mild form of influenza, some develop a more acute disease with clinical signs of pneumonia. Among the latter group, the fatality rate is 1 to 5 percent, the University of Florida reported.

". . . Despite the rumors that are out on the internet and other such sources, this disease is not as deadly as people want to make it," said Dr. Cynda Crawford, a veterinary immunologist at the University of Florida. "Only a minority of dogs, a small number of dogs, experience complications such as pneumonia." "

If you are worried about this disease (even though the odds of serious illness are very low), then keep your pets away from dog parks and other dog areas. If your pets start coughing, then see your veterinarian right away.

I hope this helps.

drphilvegasvet