Return to Website

Veterinary Question and Answer

Ask me a question. Discuss a topic. Let's talk about pets and people!

Veterinary Question and Answer
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: my dog throws up...

Hi,

Chronic, intermittent vomiting can be very frustrating for the veterinarian and the owner. As you have found out, it can be very expensive to determine the cause. Most cases need bloodwork and xrays. Many of them need a further work-up which could include barium studies, fecal examinations, ultrasound, endoscopy or surgery. Thankfully, there are some cases which respond to conservative treatment such as diet change and medication.

One question; if your pet was doing well on the prescription diet and the medication, why was it stopped? I have no idea what the medication was but perhaps it wasn't suitable for long-term use?? You should talk to your veterinarian about this.

It is unlikely that your Rottie's vomiting problems are related to his previous parvo illness.

My recommendation would be to have a talk with your veterinarian. Make an appointment and bring your husband. You need to discuss your concerns and be very honest about what you can and cannot afford. Keep in mind, however, that it is always better to pursue a diagnosis than to try a variety of medication or food that may or may not work. You may also wish to pursue a second opinion. These can be tough cases and it may be helpful for another veterinarian to review the records.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

drphilvegasvet

Re: Re: my dog throws up...

I live in Las Vegas and wanted to know if you are currently practicing and if so I wanted to know if I could bring my Rottie in to see you to get that second opinion you suggested. It's just so frustrating and my husband and I really want him to get better he is starting to lose a lot of weight. Thank you!

Re: Re: Re: my dog throws up...

I work at Mountain Vista Animal Hospital near Sam's Town. The phone number is 702-458-8808. Just call us up and make an appointment. Remember to bring any previous records with you, especially any bloodwork or xray reports. Take care and hope to see you soon,

drphil