My Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Salute

A salute is defined as a polite recognition or acknowledgement. In our lives there are many people who have taken a chance on us and paved the way for our advancement. Jess Ytuarte hired me right out of high school as a construction laborer. He taught me that I was capable of this kind of work. Richard Fisher called me one spring day and offered me a job as a framer. He taught me many things I did not know, including how to read a blueprint. We spent that summer traveling around, with Jim Getty, framing houses in Idaho and Washington. By the end of that summer, we were all brown, skinny and tough. I was a University student, in California, during the wintertime. The next spring Rusty Hamilton, a general contractor, offered me a job as a framer in Mountain Home. That was a break I needed. On the job site I saw a framing crew led by Ron Lemmon. After watching that crew work, I went over and asked Ron for a job. He offered me $4.50 an hour. I told him I would work for $4.00. Ron taught me the math I needed to know. Years later, his brother Jim Lemmon, a successful businessman, taught me what I needed to know to run a successful framing business. I learned how to witch well from a Brand Inspector in Grandview. This came in handy. I taught water witching to a young Bruneau cowboy that worked for me named Jason Tindal. I always got a kick out of this cowboy: If a local kid went racing past our job site in a beat-up old pickup, with no muffler, Jason would always say, "And, that is why cousins shouldn't marry cousins." Jason is a better water witch than me now and I have had him bail me out many times when I got in over my head. I taught the Redhead how to smell rain. She is better than me at this now and can smell rain two days out. TJ introduced me to the farm girls in Grandview. He didn't actually teach me anything, but he sure pointed me in the right direction. Life is good.