All topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hay Shortage

I haven't had a problem at all, and all at very reasonable prices too!

I've found it harder to find hay this year as i've only got limited storage space on the farm i have to buy it as it goes, but it isn't impossible to get just the price has gone a bit doolally. Last year i was able to get small hay at 3 pound per bale and large at 25 to 30 but now at the current moment im paying 5 to 6 pounds for small and 50 to 65 for a large bale i know farmers who have been holding back their excess to make a larger profit but at the cost of losing clientele. These last 2 months alone i've spent somewhere in the region of 7000 over my allotted budget for forage without the cost of fuel aswell. next winter will be worse as farmers will tear up hay fields to plant wheat as the price per tonnage goes up past the 250 mark. All i can say is get it while you can it wont be around for long.

I've just bought an extra 30 bales of hay in after my haylage I bought was awful quality and most was wasted,paid £4 a bale but it was from the farm up the road,good small bales but very dense and large beautiful meadow hay,so well worth it.