All topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wintering out a tb

Hi, I have a thoroughbred who is currently stabled overnight. I have just had a baby and am struggling with mucking out, bringing in etc. Although the people I share with have been fantastic I don't think its fair to expect them to look after my horse. I have been offered the use of a 5 acre paddock with excellent natural shelter, just wondered if anyone had experience of keeping a tb out all winter and how they coped? He obviously isn't in ridden work atm and is generally a very chilled out boy, and a good doer for a tb.

Re: Wintering out a tb

dont worry, horses are resiliant. i have had tbs and warmbloods out all winter with no rugs as long as they have shelter from wind (Hedge will be fine)food (hay) and water, they will be fine. mine always come out in the spring looking very well.

Re: Wintering out a tb

I agree, as long as he's not clipped out and nicely rugged up leave him out. Mine wintered out all last year. It is much more natural for them and they dont get stressed. It's hard not to feel guilty when the weather is vile but they are designed to be out, as long as he has somewhere he can duck out of the wind and driving rain then he will be fine. Top tip though is Calm and condition feed with some chaff and coarse mix helps keep some of the condition on. x