All topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Split coronet band

Hi there,

I'm posting this as I seem to be getting a million and one different opinions and wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem.

My tb gelding had a fetlock injury a little while ago and subsequently from kicking at it he has split his coronet band on the inner near hind, horozontally, about an inch and half long. It definately isn't an infection in the hoof coming out as I've had farrier look at him. He is not lame but is tender when you touch it.

It's been like that for about a week and half and I've been treating it with a treacly thing the vet gave me along with good old purple spray. Firstly I wanted to know if anyone has ever used Red Horse Hoof Stuff as this seems to be quite recommended for this sort of injury.

Secondly I wanted to know if we can start riding him. My gut says no, let him heal, but I've been advised that it shouldn't hurt him as long as he is completely sound on it. He's bored stiff and wants to work but I do not want to exasipate an injury or indeed do more damage which may be longer term. Any advice gratefully received.

Cath

Re: Split coronet band

I cant quite be sure what your horse has done but my mare bashed her coronet band last year, 1st we knew was when she came up 1/10 lame after a X country event. We paid loads of money on x rays etc which turned up nothing but after a few months off our farrier noticed a slight split growing out of her hoof which he said was probably the cause. After consultation with our vet I was advised NOT to ride her til the split had grown past the bone in her foot as the spilt would cause a temporary weakness in the hoof whilst growing out. I used Cornucresant ( spelling ****!) sticky stuff on her coronet which apparently promotes good hoof growth but be warned it took nearly 9 months to grow out fully. Be advised by our farrier if you have a good one. We use Mike Lowe, Rodway heathfield and Patrick Peacock on our yard and they are top notch with advice and guidance. Good luck xx