Welcome to the message forum, the place to chat and compare notes on anything equestrian. 

TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USING THIS FORUM: 

The Hereford Equestrian forum is for discussing equestrian and rural related topics of interest. It must not be used for advertising, nor must it be used to post defamatory or inappropriate messages.  Any comments which are considered defamatory, inappropriate, racist, rude or insulting will be removed. It should also be understood that users posting defamatory comments are exposing themselves to the risk of legal action.

Hereford Equestrian reserves the right to prevent any users from continuing to post messages on the forum.  It should also be noted that the opinions and views of users of the forum are not those of Hereford Equestrian.

This website must not be used for advertising.  Adverts will be deleted. 

By using the Hereford Equestrian Forum, you are accepting these terms and conditions. The full terms and conditions can be applied for by writing to Hereford Equestrian.

Forum: The Online Equestrian Message Forum for Herefordshire,Worcs, Glos, Shrops & Wales
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
MUD FEVER

Hello all,

I am totally fed up with Mud Fever! My horse has been kept in most of winter, which he is deffinatly not happy about, as an attempt to stop the Mud Fever. However, i am not surpised to say it's still come back. Last year he had a really bad case of it leaving extreamly bad scaring to this front legs. He was bandaged and treated by the vet for over 4 months. This year i have worked so hard to keep it at bay, successful until now but slowly begining to fail. My horse has pink skin, so is more sensitive than others to creams, shampoos etc. I Have tried keeping him in, turning him out, keeping his legs dry, cleaning his legs religiously twice a day, barrier creams, disinfectants and now i am all out of ideas!

Please let me know if there is a cure out there!!!!

Re: MUD FEVER

hi my tb gelding suffers from mud fever tried all the creams and sprays ,turnout socks etc, probaley sent more on mud fever than he cost , however..... i found a brill cream it works or they give you your money back!!Aromaheel made by aromesse 01427 811765 it is totally natural teatree peppermint and cocobutter ,smells like an after eight!!when i first got it my boy had very scabbylegs and several infected areas i used every day for about 3 wks without fail but after a week you see it was improving then every other day,....now i use 2-3 x a week and hes out all day all weather in at night .i know every horse is different but they refund you if it dosnt work so try it i think its fantastic wish i had found it sooner ...good luck

Email  

Thanks very much Lucy. I will contact them. Any other ideas anyone?

I used to have tb who suffered really bad with it, I used to soak his feet/leg in a bucket of warm salty water and pick off any loose scabs .. and then blow dry his legs with a hair dryer .. and then used bog standard sudocrem. A lot of people swear by pig oil though. Does your have clipped legs?

Until this year i have not clipped his legs but after the vet advising me to clip them off last year to be able to kep them dry and clean i took all his fur off when i clipped him this winter.

did he have mud fever the year before when his legs hadn't been clipped? I only ask as I know of someone who clipped their horses' legs this winter for the first time and he got mud fever.

Email  

Interesting. Up until recent winters he has never had mud feaver but his old owner did warm me he suffers with it.. The first few years i had him there was nothing. Still extreemly confused!

well it has been pretty wet! my mare suffered really badly with one bout around 4 years ago - not from mud though, just very very wet long grass! the backs of her pasterns felt as though she had been persistantly walking through brambles it was that bad. Have you tried keratex mud shield powder? might be worth a go.

Unfortunetely once it is in the soil it can be reoccuring,is there any way you can move your horse?.My TB suffered one year when a gelding caught it in the yard,I used Protocon,blue tub from any saddlers/countrywide etc,it was marvellous,I scrubbed his legs with hibiscrub,washed and dried then put protocon on,it cleared up within weeks and he has never had it since,I moved him away a couple of years afterwards and thankfully it has never reoccured as it is very rarely muddy in their field.

Email  

My horse has just got mud fever for the first time. After i've cleaned any stable dirt off,I've managed to get him to stand in a bucket of warm water with hibiscrub in it for a few minutes then dry his legs really well and then use sudocrem. Luckily I caught it early but I still swear sudocrem is the answer!Good Luck!

Email