Welcome to the message forum, the place to chat and compare notes on anything equestrian. 

TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USING THIS FORUM: 

The Hereford Equestrian forum is for discussing equestrian and rural related topics of interest. It must not be used for advertising, nor must it be used to post defamatory or inappropriate messages.  Any comments which are considered defamatory, inappropriate, racist, rude or insulting will be removed. It should also be understood that users posting defamatory comments are exposing themselves to the risk of legal action.

Hereford Equestrian reserves the right to prevent any users from continuing to post messages on the forum.  It should also be noted that the opinions and views of users of the forum are not those of Hereford Equestrian.

This website must not be used for advertising.  Adverts will be deleted. 

By using the Hereford Equestrian Forum, you are accepting these terms and conditions. The full terms and conditions can be applied for by writing to Hereford Equestrian.

Forum: The Online Equestrian Message Forum for Herefordshire,Worcs, Glos, Shrops & Wales
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Old pony

My 30 year old pony is very poor, despite lots of special old pony tlc, and has a terrible cough. I have found that vets are reluctant to put horses down until they look absolutely dreadful and I do not want to wait until then. I especially don't want him to do another winter. Does anyone have any suggestions about a humane way to deal with this old friend?

Email  
Re: Old pony

If your pony is suffering a vet will see this and decide on the best solution.If your not happy with the vets opinion get a second and third opinion from different vets.Have you tried all avenues such as homeopathy etc??My 22 yr old TB had a terrible cough and couldnt be ridden for a month,he's now on a mixture of herbs to aid breathing as is 100% again and acting like a 2 yr old!

Hi, why do you not contact the Julianne Aston at the Veteran Horse Society, she is brillant. Give her as much detail as possible i.e height, weight, amount of food and type he his eating each day. They have a website, so you can email her. I have a 37 year old and we have our ups and downs, and I find the VHS website a very useful source of information.

Good luck

Email  

Hiya, first things first have his teeth been checked/rasped lately? also what food do you feed him? my 25 year old doesn't hold his weight particularly well regardless of the time of year so he is fed all year round, he currently gets a full ration of topspec feed balancer (500grms) top spec super conditioning flakes (approx 500grms), 1 x mug linseed lozenges and 500grms of beet. He looks really well on it - I have to say the feed balancer is the main thing that has helped with him - he now has good condition over his top line - and he's probably be doing pony club again this year aswell as local shows.

I'm sure any vet with respect for you will do what's best - it would be far kinder to have your pts now or later on in the summer whilst he is happy than waiting until the depths of winter when he may be cold and in poor conditionl. As someone recently said to me - better to be two weeks or months too soon than too late.

Thanks for all the helpful advice! I had his teeth checked recently and the dentist did all he could, although the pony still quids badly when eating hay. We put him on the foodstuffs recommended by the dentist. He's better now of course since the grass has come through, shame it's not good all year round. It's really his awful cough that I am most concerned about. This does not seem to be caused by hay as he's bad whether he has it or not. Might have a look at some easy breathing remedies. Trouble is he was my childhood pony and I remember how bright, round and sparky he was. He's a bit of a shadow of his younger self now. Glad to hear everyone's old faithfuls are going well.

Email  

when my old boy was struggling through winter on his haylage I used to give him a large trug of grazeon/readigrass for his to pick through.

has your vet looked at your old boys cough? you could always try horselyx menthol stable mate - I bought one .. just because it smelt nice and although it may not make his cough better, if it's just a dry tickly cough then the little bit of menthol stuff in the lyx might just do the trick.

hi rosie, we had a horse that was 32 years old had a cough but so happy, v bright eyefm does your horse seem happy? i agree with previous comments, if vets are that concerned they would put him down, weve usually found with our horse weve had to argue not to! (not the older ones), my own, who is now in brilliant condition and im glad i didnt! I think a horse will let you know when theyre ready, if you know him, youll be able to decide. However, we used to use a herbal cough medicine, which you had to the feed, about 15.00 a bottle if i remember rightly, herbal q i think? ill have a look and see if still have bottle. my horse got one also when boxresting dur to dust and i found it excellent!if can finf will post it monday, got from our local saddlery, foxes.

Email  

I would recommend contacting Equine Market Watch Sanctuaries (EMW) as Elaine (the Founder and a good friend of mine)is absolutely brilliant when it comes to veterans! I am sure if you drop her an email, she will be more than happy to advise - check out the EMW website.

Email