All topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Horse unbalanced in trailer

My mare has suddenly become very unbalanced when travelling in a trailer (Ifor Williams). She normally travels on the right but started to lean on the side of the trailer and just slide down it, off-side hind going underneath her. She has fallen/sat down on her backside twice. We have tried her on the left - worse. We have also tried without the partition - slightly improved but wouldn't risk going very far! Prior to us having her she was turned away for 18 months and was very, very over-weight. She has now lost the excess weight and is (almost) back down to normal weight. I would add that she is not in the least stressed out with this issue. Indeed the last time she went down she was on the left, cross tied and although her legs almost buckled underneath her - she was still munching away on her hay net! She is no bother to load, bounces on the trailer every time. Am getting back etc checked but in the mean time any ideas?

Re: Horse unbalanced in trailer

I have one horse who does this. He was always a poor traveller and very unsteady. Better without partition. I think it's to do with the direction of travel. In a lorry he is absolutely fine - but he's side facing not forward facing like in a trailer.