All topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cribbing/windsucking

I have my sisters TB gelding on loan and he is fabulous in everyway apart from he windsucks and crib bites,he has destroyed my stable and seems to do it mostly after/before eating,I dont like the collars but have had to order him one to try and help at least.What I wanted to know is has anyone tried any supplements to help?was thinking of trying Settlex.Would like to add he has a very natural lifestyle,is out 24/7 with access to the stable if he wants to he also has 2 companions and ad lib forage,I cant think of any other way to prevent it or at least help,he is a bit ribby which I am sure is down to his "habit"!.thanks

Re: cribbing/windsucking

Hi he may have ulcers, my horse (also a TB) does it slightly and is also ribby and suspect that he has them!

Iv got a sec d who does it, ulcers are one of the side affects if they get too addicted cause they fill their stomachs with air rather than forage so the stomach acid eats into the lining. We covered every place she could possibly chew in angle iron so she couldn't get at any wood to chew, but then she figured out how to do it vertically so now I just leave a small place where she can chew but put other distractions around it like salt licks and boredom busters. So now she limits herself to the scary parts of the day (dawn and dusk) and just after hard feed. My mare was smart enough to figure our on how to turn the collar round so she could carry on wind sucking .

I've tried Settlex - waste of money.

The horse actually gets a release of endorphins from doing it - bit like us eating chocolate!!

Once he's cribbing/w.sucking you'll never stop it.

Collars aren't always an option, I put mine on as tight as possible and it still managed to crib.

Creosote everything that is possible. Put a muzzle on or just accept that he does it. Turn out as much as possible.