All topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wintering out youngsters

I have a 4 1/2 yr old sports horse gelding,he is going well atm apart from sometimes napping,which is getting better with regular work,this is the part I am struggling with as I dont want to over work him being young but equally if he is ridden only a couple of times a week he is naughty,he seems to enjoy working,I am in 2 minds whether to leave him to absorb everything and chill for the winter and bring him back again in spring,learning to jump/proper flatwork etc or try to keep him going through the winter months.I the same as many others juggle 3 days a week working,another horse and a 17 month old(as well as a husband!) too which means I am always trying to squeeze riding in!I just dont want him beig wasted but equally dont want to overwork him and be irritable riding him due to time constraints.Any experience/ideas welcomed!!

Re: Wintering out youngsters

Hi! How bad is the napping? Its a difficult one if he has been playing up, as you dont want to turn him away for the winter if it means stopping on a bad note (just my opinion) because this may mean that when you bring him back into work, the problem could get worse as he may think hes got away with it. Maybe just continue working him 3 days a week as you are and as the napping eases off/stops maybe think about turning him away then. Or, you could maybe ride him once a week during the winter, just to keep him ticking over and to ensure he doesnt get into any bad habits and if he does, they will then be nipped in the bud asap. hope this helps

Tough one but I think that getting the ground work right from the start is fairly important if youre looking to keep the horse longer term. Assuming the other horse is already fully trained, I'd be tempted to leave the trained horse to rest for a while and work the youngster slightly more, weather permitting, until it has given up the napping, then you can leave it for longer between exercise. A half hour hack on a relatively relaxed rein out is all thats needed a few times a week. That shouldnt hurt a 4.5 yo assuming you dont beast it on the road and that the saddle fits ok. I appreciate it will be a juggle though and the hubby might not always appreciate your commitments!

Thanks,my other gelding is 27!,still in work a couple of days p/w.My problem is my youngster is fine if he goes out 4/5 times a week but v naughty if he only goes out once or twice,the napping is getting better and I always work through it but he is a bit of a hot head and thrives on stimulation and work unlike my other boy who has always been very laid back and has always been able to be left for a week and is fine.I have no plans to sell him as have had him since 9 mths old and he is a cracking horse(related to Olivers townends new ride)with such potential.I will try and keep him ticking over for the winter months and perhaps consider a share/loan if I am still struggling.I must add I have had teeth,saddler and physio out and both horses live out in 5 1/2 acres Thankyou

in that case i wud try and keep him ridden as much as possible, even if its for 20 mins, sounds like if u stopped his work at this point he may come bk worse