All topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Barefoot

I have been asked for views on barefoot trimming and how horses perform barefoot. Please comment if you have experience or knowledge on this.

Re: Barefoot

My IDxWB has never had shoes, nor do I intend to have shoes. She is so surefoot around our farm in all terrin. We compete affiliated dressage and showing, recently been for a clinic with a top showman & he felt it not an issue. A couple of people have voiced their concerns about it, but we don't do large amount of roadwork nor do we jump or event. Plus the great thing is we save money.

None of my 4 horses have had shoes for years, even the TB is barefoot, although he wears hoof boots on his fronts if he is going to be doing much roadwork. A (sadly no longer with us) pony we owned who used to have tendon trouble when shod had no more trouble with tendons once barefoot, because I think there is a better blood circulation in the leg when the frog is working properly. My 2 Arabs are not shod; hopefully the youngster never will be. My old Arab has done long distance rides, le Trec and dressage unshod with never a day's lameness. I do use hoof boots if I think that the terrain will be flinty - they last for years with the limited use they get.

Our Andalusian has been barefoot for 3 years now and it is the best decision we made. He has very hard feet so we are lucky as he does barefoot very easily. I lot of people are under the misconception that roadwork isn't possible if you are barefoot. Infact roadwork is good as it stimulates the blood flow and encourages the new hoof growth.
Some horses find adapting to being barefoot difficult initally, but you have to not panic if they are footy and find in difficult on stoney-type ground. Once they are used to it you won't look back to having shoes on! I always suggest barefoot to people and I wouldn't push my opinions on anyone, but I find it frustrating that people won't even consider it an option. There are lots of advantages including the major cost saving you make!
Oh and another thing, it is difficult to find a proper barefoot trimmer, not just a farrier who will trim. There is a lot of science behind the barefoot way so you need to find a good trimmer that you can trust!

Thanks for the replies (I think Sally put this up obo me)Im researching hoof boots & think 'easy boot - bare' seem good. Does anyone have feedback on these or any other hoof boots inc which are ok to get on? Also where do I get a bare foot trimmer? Im going to stay shod infront (at least for now)so do i really have to have both types of farrier
I want to event & have seen others doing so successfully but would love to talk to any local barefoot eventers
Any thoughts on diet / being stabled (which i hear is bad but as winter approaches will become inevitable over nights)etc ????
Thanks everyone

my welshie had been barefoot for 11 years and my 1/2 shire (was told by previous owner she was tried and could never be barefoot) had been so for 8 years.

My welshie was driven for several years so did a fair bit of roadwork and we also did endurance for a while .... which again involved a fair few miles in a week lol

Diet is really just a healthy forage based diet making sure all nutrients at good levels .... and avoiding too much sugary grass of course !

we dont stable ours but we do yard them over winter on hard standing ( with access to stables if they want to go in)and this helps.

Conditioning is vital in that starting off if need be with a few mins each day on hard smooth surfaces like road and increasing walking time as can be coped with ( with boots if needed /desired) then as horse ready increasing time and pace. Some horses can be great almost immediately, some take months.

Some farriers are great at trimming for barefoot... some tend to trim as if for shoeing or for pasture rest... which is not quite the same. I was lucky in finding two brilliant farriers who supported barefoot ( one even asking my advice about boots when a pone he was caring for just could not keep any shoe on.) After their retirement I found a barefoot trimmer but she comes from Bristol.

you will find lists of other trimmers on some of the websites

a few links to start you off

have fun

http://www.uknhcp.org.uk/

http://www.performancebarefoot.co.uk/

http://www.tribeequus.com/