All topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
prelim dressage test

thinking of putting my young mare in for a very basic dressage test, anyone got any advise or better still test papers for me to look at what it involves, bit scared but been having lessons and need to be brave, everyone started somewhere!!

Re: prelim dressage test

Good for you.... don't be scared! The lower the number in prelim, the easier the test - theoretically. Basically you will have to walk, trot and canter on both reins within a 20 x 40m, (or possibly 20x60m arena). There are some intro walk and trot tests too, so if you are worried in any way about the canter part of the test, you could do one of those first.

Are you used to riding in a 20x40m arena and where will you do your first competition? If on grass, I suggest you mark out an arena at home with some poles to get used to keeping within the arena which is often one of the most challenging parts of your first test/tests. I can feel an article coming on, so I'm going to finish this post here and get writing. Once it is done, I will post here and direct you to the article which will be on the website.