All topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Splints

My 4 yr old sports horse has recently annoyingly developed a huge splint on his nearside fore I have no idea how or why this has happened as he was backed as a late 3 yr old ,very lightly worked and I have been careful to not do too much with him/hard work etc,he is a bit loopy and I can only guess he has knocked himself in the field while galloping round with the other 2.I would like to know if there is anything I can do to minimise it at all..I suspect the answer is no but its worth a try!

Re: Splints

The size of a splint can reduce in time, but while it is still active, it will get bigger. I would consult your vet as you don't want the splint to get any bigger and a vet can, not only give his invaluable advice, but also administer anti-inflammatories. You should aim to rest it and keep it cold by hosing or regularly icing it. You want the splint to settle down and not keep laying down new bone - this can take 6 weeks. Don't use ice for too long near a joint and as you will already know, you need something in between the ice itself and your horse's skin, such as an old towel. Use brushing boots when turning out as a future preventative.

Not sure where but I also heard that you can rub lemon juice into splints to try and reduce them. Not sure if it'll work though.

Thankyou he has had a week of no work but he is turned out,I dont want to shut him in if I can help it as he hates it on his own and I feel its not fair on them,especially when I dont know if it'll make a difference!It has not grown in size at all since it happened but also it hasnt shrunk either!.I will keep an eye on it and give him another week of rest and see how it looks,he wears boots out now!.

Hi My horse developed a splint on inside of one foreleg as a 4yr old- it looked hideous but never caused any lameness. I made sure I used splint/ brushing boots whenever I rode - especially on roads so as not to agravate it. i was the same as you- worried what to do but ended up just leaving it. He is now 5 and the splint has completely gone. It took about a year but you may be lucky like me. I think a lot of horses develop them at that age and then recover. good luck and hope this gives you some peace of mind!

Thankyou Ange thats made me feel better!I always put boots on to exercise him and he also wore them in the field until recently,as its wet and muddy I have found they rub so have removed them.