All topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Confused about which bit to try?

Hi, I have a welsh cob gelding who is a spooky, sensitive ride who can be strong & I am having trouble finding a bit which he is happy in. I would like to be able to school him in a snaffle (which he used to do well but recently he has started holding the bit and leaning so I have no control) but I need something extra for fast work/jumping. I have tried loose ring snaffles with single jointed mouthpeices and waterford mouthpeices. I have tried a dutch gag (2 & 3 ring) but he seems to hate the action/poll pressure (he goes round like a giraffe and I end up not having control, as he goes behind the bit) I also rode him in a bitless (the cross under the chin type) which he actualy loves, totally relaxes, but I find steering a problem and have not tried fast work/jumping in it. So would maybe a hackamore be a good option? Also, I thought maybe trying a kimblewick, with a port mouthpeice, as Im wondering wether maybe he doesnt like the jointed mouthpeice as he has quite a large tongue? Any suggestions please?? I want to be in control, but also want him to be happy

Re: Confused about which bit to try?

Hi, I also have a sec d who is spooky and sensitive! I ride her in a neue shcule,scuse spelling, trans angled lozenge loose ring snaffle. Same as a sprenger snaffle where the link in the middle is at 45 degree angle so sits flat on the tongue she also has small mouth, fat tongue. The thickness of the bit quite important the common mistake of a thicker bit being milder, not if there isn't enough room in the mouth! I've found that the 14mm thickness suits her. I find the lozenge helps with the leaning. Can't comment on the hackamore as never used one. If you live near you more than welcome to try mine.

I suggest you put this question in the 'Ask the Expert' section and ask Christine & Colin Hardinge.

I used to ride my cob in a vulcanite pelham for xc/sj as he was very strong,gave me much more control.My tb x is ridden in a hanging cheek snaffle,fabulous bit as he respects it but its still kind to his young mouth(hes 4),he was ridden in a rubber snaffle but I found I had no control whatsoever!!.There are places that hire bits i'd try a few for flat and jumping see how you get on.

I ride my very strong fast Welsh cob x in a hackamore after trying every bit I could get my hands on and she is like a different horse, I have control and she is much lighter in my hands because she has nothing to lean on/ get hold of!