All topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dressage Test Sheets

Hi! Im thinking of trying some unafilliated dressage tests, as Ive had a few lessons with a dressage rider and she says my horse could do a novice test now easily. However, as Ive never done a dressage test in my life and dont know the rules etc, I am going to start with prelim. Does anyone know where I get the test sheets from please? Also, any tips on remembering the test, as I can remember a course of showjumps but it seems difficult to memorise a dressage test? Thanks

Re: Dressage Test Sheets

You can get just about any test from a website www.dressagediagrams.org
you download a test and print it out yourself, they cost £1.50 each but they have a minimum charge of £2

With regard to learning the test, you could look up the one you're planning to ride on youtube.com. Lots of riders record their tests and put them on there. Choose one or two 'good' ones to watch. I find this really helps me to learn tests! Maybe get someone to command your test on the first attempt too - just so that there's one less thing to worry about?
Good luck!

As others have said, you can buy tests from dressage diagrams website (unless you use a mac!)
Otherwise, try your local saddlers & tack shops who often sell dressage tests, or you can just buy them from British Dressage - www.britishdressage.co.uk They then get posted to you.

Make sure you note the number of the test AND year and buy the right one/s!

Re remembering tests....most prelim and novice tests are symmetrical. What you do on one rein, you will do on the other rein too.

Some people like to make a mini arena in their garden and go through the test on their feet.

Other people like to draw it on a piece of paper or you can buy specially designed dry wipe boards with an arena printed on them.

Recently, I have been dictating tests on to the voice recorder on my smartphone and then listen to them when I am driving.

Once you have learnt it, remember the basic order to help prevent a 'blank' in the test. ie. Enter, turn left, trot work, canter left, the walk, trot right, canter right, trot, finish.

Once I've learnt a test, I just close my eyes and visualize riding it, but there is no harm riding through it once or twice. It gives you an idea of how much preparation everything takes and teaches you to think ahead. Don't ride through it so many times that your horse learns it though or he will anticipate!