All topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lead rein age restrictions

Hi, we have recently found out that we cannot show as the little boy who rides is only 2.5yrs old , he loves riding and its such a shame, we have been informed that we could sign a disclaimer but not all shows would except this and some judges would still refuse to let us in the ring, has anyone else experienced this or have any helpful ideas? Thanks

Re: Lead rein age restrictions

Hi Hannah

I think you should be able to do lead-rein classes with him at local, un-affiliated shows this year. I've checked one or two schedules and there are no age restrictions mentioned on either.

However, I also have the British Show Pony Society rules and they definitely state that the minimum age for lead rein riders is 3 years so its probably likely to be the same across the board for other similar affiliated societies across the country.

Although you can't do affiliated shows this year, there are still loads of local shows (see "Whats On" page) you could do to get experience and have lots of fun this year. It will also be a guide as to whether pony and rider are going to be good enough to affiliate and hit the big time next year!!

Good luck!

Judges, like instructors, have their own public liablity insurance, which is separate from the show venues insurance, so the judges on the day still may not be able to allow a child under 3 to compete whether it is an affiliated show or not. Shows have to be very hot on health and safety these days.

Hi, regarding the show scheduale we went to one s no age restriction was printed and we were not allowed to enter :( , the owner is trying to speak and check with her insurance about us going again with a disclaimer, Sally do you think many judges would except a disclaimer? We are very aware of risks etc but he loves riding and would so love to go to shows, he infact rode last year at not even 18months old and won the class it was judges choice and nothing was mentioned at all about age so its such a shame as he has had such a taste for it now x