All topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Black flies

Mine too, they are horrid! i've been smothering them in sudocrem or fly barrier cream, down underside of neck, chest & all along belly, seems to do the trick! Also got fly rugs & masks on.

And mine! They seem worse than ever this year, horrible things that burrow in and draw blood. Mine have fly rugs and masks on too, but I have also resorted to bringing them in during the day - for which they are very grateful!

I've found NAF D-itch rubbed over vulnerable areas pretty well stops these flies. It's really greasy (like vaseline) and soothing as well. The flies don't seem to be able to attach onto the horse through the grease

I use Fine Fettle Feeds FlyGon an innovative product which is an anti-bite product and also soothes the skin.

Mine too!!! They literally attatch themselves to their necks and under their bellies and chests. Terrible! I also use NAF D-ITCH and find this does work quite well and also helps to soften their skin to stop the dry, 'bitty' after effect of fly bites.

These are probably Blandford flies. They bite people too and can cause swollen ankles/feet and very large blisters. I just had a week on antibiotics after I was stung 4 times on my right ankles.

The internet claims they are associated with water - but I personally think they are associated with horses. I get bitten every year when I'm feeding/grooming my pony.