Welcome to the message forum, the place to chat and compare notes on anything equestrian. 


The Hereford Equestrian forum is for discussing equestrian and rural related topics of interest. It must not be used for advertising, nor must it be used to post defamatory or inappropriate messages.  Any comments which are considered defamatory, inappropriate, racist, rude or insulting will be removed. It should also be understood that users posting defamatory comments are exposing themselves to the risk of legal action.

Hereford Equestrian reserves the right to prevent any users from continuing to post messages on the forum.  It should also be noted that the opinions and views of users of the forum are not those of Hereford Equestrian.

This website must not be used for advertising.  Adverts will be deleted. 

By using the Hereford Equestrian Forum, you are accepting these terms and conditions. The full terms and conditions can be applied for by writing to Hereford Equestrian.

Forum: The Online Equestrian Message Forum for Herefordshire,Worcs, Glos, Shrops & Wales
Start a New Topic 
Thread is Locked Thread is Locked     Board|Threaded
Welfare of Horses - Your obligations

The welfare of horses is in our hands.

As horse-owners we have a legal obligation to care for our horses and ponies. But, we also have a moral obligation, not only with our own horses welfare, but also with the welfare of others.

If you have any concerns re the welfare of horses, you should report those concerns. So, who should you contact?:

If you are reporting a welfare case which you feel requires urgent veterinary attention, contact a local vet and the RSPCA.

The British Horse Society have welfare officers throughout the country, who can investigate welfare issues. Visit their website for more information: https://www.bhs.org.uk/Horse_Care/BHS_Welfare/Reporting_a_concern.aspx

Welfare concerns can be reported to the BHS Welfare department on 02476 840571 or 02476 840574. Alternatively, you can e-mail welfare@bhs.org.uk.

World Horse Welfare (formerly the ILPH) also have welfare officers who can investigate cases in your area. You can call their freephone hotline number 08000 480180.

See more on their website: http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/contact/in-the-uk

Don't leave it - report it!