Return to Website

Community Service Officer Forum

Here is where any civilian law enforcement personel can share work experiences, problems, ideas, and promote equality in the workplace. Please join the discussion.

Community Service Officer Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Drug use policies?

Ccaligirl,
I am a C.S.O. in California. There are some drug categories that are considered automatic disqualifiers. For example, if a person takes any hallucinogen drugs,I know that almost every department considers that a dis qualifier.

Studies has shown that individuals in the past who have taken hallucinogens have had a relapse 10 or sometimes 20 years down the road. It all comes down to this. A department does not want to places a person in their uniform and represent their department when a relapse occurs. It is that golden liability word.

Any other drug seems to be agency specific, I would contact the agency your looking at and ask the question. My advice.....don't hide the issue, and certainly don't lie about the issue. Trust me, it will all come to light when you least expect it.

I hope this gives you a better idea! Good luck!
-Duke

Re: Re: Drug use policies?

Thank you Duke. I'm a very honest person, so that's something I would never try to hide. It's not as bad as it sounds, just not as good as it should be I guess. I use my past to try to help children get through their tough times without going where I went. I recognize my stupidity and would NEVER step backwards, with our without this job. Like I said, that's not who I am. Thanks for your response.

Re: Re: Re: Drug use policies?

Ive recently applied for a position here in Northern California. I have a really good Law Enforcement background as well as know a former CSO from that department of 7 years. Some departments prefer you to have experienced certain things in your past to be aware of them in the field, in a way, to know how to deal with it without passing harsh judgement. Im sure that plenty of LE officers have done some stuff back in their day. No one is cherry perfect, lots of departments are more than willing to give you a chance if you got what it takes. Good luck!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Drug use policies?

Thank you Cali4nia. I appreciate the feedback. I spoke to a lady that got automatically disqualified from one of the departments she tested for, so I have my fingers crossed. All I can do is be honest and hope they see what all my friends and family sees in me.