Return to Website

Community Service Officer Forum

Here is where any civilian law enforcement personel can share work experiences, problems, ideas, and promote equality in the workplace. Please join the discussion.

Community Service Officer Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CSO - warranted Officers?

I am a CSO for my police service. I am a warranted Police Officer, I carry a gun and badge and wear the same uniform as everyone else n the force.I was hired under a program called 1000 Officers Safer Communites program in Ontario. My position in particular, I do not take ANY calls. I focus on community events, prevention and awarness to certain issues. I spend a lot of time in our schools doing presentations on bike safety, fire prevention drug prevention ect. I am curios as I have been reading that some of you are not warranted, how can that be? Is that not a safety issue?

Re: CSO - warranted Officers?

I think you are confusing Community Service Officer which is the common term for a civilian with limited powers of arrest in the United States with a Community Relations Officer or a Crime Prevention Officer which is often (but not always)a sworn officers position.
Community Service Officers are not sworn in by the state and not allowed to carry firearms.

Re: Re: CSO - warranted Officers?

irregardless of the mix up, it is BS that CSO's in todays age don't qualify for carry. I can't see why anyone would want to put a uniformed officer in a govt marked vehicle out on the street taking complaints etc and not arm them.

Re: Re: Re: CSO - warranted Officers?

It's all about the money!!!!!
And it means that the patrol officers don't have to take calls that they find demeaning AKA abandoned vehicles, dog calls, parking complaints.
They pay me 48K to do my job and I take 25% more calls for service than a patrol officer getting paid 70K. On a per call basis I am half the cost of a patrol officer.
Do More - Save More

Re: Re: Re: Re: CSO - warranted Officers?

Oh trust me - I see the benifits to fielding a CSO from a dept standpoint - and its a good idea. My point is that there is no sense in fielding them unarmed. I am sure its got to do something with state legislation. The training is not costly. As an Animal Control Officer in MI - I qualify to carry through the sheriff dept. I wouldn't think to much of going out on patrol in my uniform in a govt marked vehicle without my sidearm.
We deal with the same ******** the regular officers do - people have been shot over less than a compliance issue. When it comes down to it, all they see is the badge and a person in uniform (the GOVT)telling them what they can and can't do.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CSO - warranted Officers?

Amen. Most of the officers on my department think I'm crazy to be out there in uniform unarmmed. And you are right, most citizens only see a uniform and a badge. It's kids the will mostly notice I don't carry. I've known some people for a long time that haven't noticed I didn't carry until I mentioned it for some reason. At least I'm lucky enough to drive an unmarked vehicle.