Return to Website

Community Service Officer Forum

Here is where any civilian law enforcement personel can share work experiences, problems, ideas, and promote equality in the workplace. Please join the discussion.

Community Service Officer Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: CSO and Firearms

I have never worn a vest. The evening shift (when we still had one) officer wore one. I never had to work the evening shift on a regular basis so I never did get one. I also found out from my coworkers that the vest is not real good at stopping a knife or other penetrating weapon. It is meant to stop a bullet. I am sure I would rather take my chances with a vest anyway but there are no guarantees in life.

Many years ago in the Chicago area there was a woman CSO standing in front of her car and behind a parked car writing a ticket when someone rear ended her squad. The colision drove her squad into the parked car with her in the middle.

The lack of a weapon is not a matter of trust. It is simply the way the law is written. To carry in Illinois you must be a "sworn police officer". The term "peace officer" is used in the statutes as anyone that upholds the law or any part of the law (such as local ordinances only). In other states, peace officer means sworn police officer.

Another area where the difference is huge is in pensions. In Illinois I am stuck in the pension with the city workers because the statutes call for "sworn police officers" to participate in a police pension. There is a huge difference between the two, money wise and when collected.

Re: Re: Re: CSO and Firearms

Not sure about the laws in Illinois. Here in Michigan you can be "sworn" and not "certified". As a Reserve Special Deputy Sheriff I am "sworn" in by the sheriff but I am not certified. I carry a gun.

Right - the vest is not puncture proof. It is a Bullet Resistant Vest. It does offer some protection as far as blunt force trauma or if you are stabbed at least the object must penatrate the vest before you. Perhaps it would not penatrate deep enough to cause serious harm due to the vest.

Obviously this job offers many dangers that can not be solved by the presence of a firearm carried by the officer. I still see no reason to put an individual at risk when he is out dealing with an unknown public. I understand its what the law states. I am simply saying it should be re-written if that is the case. I'm doing it now in Michigan, no reason it can't be done elsewhere.