Return to Website

Community Service Officer Forum

Here is where any civilian law enforcement personel can share work experiences, problems, ideas, and promote equality in the workplace. Please join the discussion.

Community Service Officer Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CSOs-Operations or Administration?

I would be very interested to find out if your CSO program at your Dept falls under the command of Operations or Administration. Feel free to email me also at tsembach@downers.us

Tim Sembach
CSO Supervisor
Downers Grove Police Dept
Downers Grove, IL. 60515

Re: CSOs-Operations or Administration?

St Charles PD has the CSO's under the Operations Division. That part has been the consistant part. What has not been consistant over the years has been who the supervisor has been. To begin with it was the shift Sgt. Then they put me under the Lt in charge of Operations (Replaced Captains. I guess if they reduced the rank they could reduce the pay without reducing the workload.) I was still being told what to do by the Sgt's but responsibility was the Lt. Now I am technically attached to the Traffic Unit Sgt but am still also under the shift Sgt's. They ahve gone to 12 hour days so I have 3 to work for plus my Traffic Sgt and Operations Commander.
Sorry, you didn't ask about the frustration of working for 5 different bosses in a week.

CSOs in my department fall under Administration. I work out of Community Relations Unit. Besides the patrol thing, I do special events, presentations, Safty Town, Bike Rodeos,etc...

Within the Tucson Police Department, CSOs fall functionally under Operations. CSOs are assigned to specific divisions and squads, where they work for a squad sergeant. At times, we are detailed to work the callback desk for the division community resource sergeant (who is still an Operations asset). The entire CSO program within the department is managed by a Lieutenant who also is an Operations asset.