Return to Website

Community Service Officer Forum

Here is where any civilian law enforcement personel can share work experiences, problems, ideas, and promote equality in the workplace. Please join the discussion.

Community Service Officer Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hard to find CSOs

i think that younger people are concentrating on the thrill of being an officer. They don't think of helping others as much as adults that are a little older. They are thinking of the adrenalin rush that comes from being an officer. They don't often even know what a CSO is or does.
To solve your problem getting students to apply, you need to get the universities offering police programs in your area to make a change. Convince them that it is in the students best interest to work as a CSO to learn about "helping the community" and that it would round out their education to serve before they protect.

Re: Re: Hard to find CSOs

We've done that with the Technical College, but it really doesn't seem to help much. It's as if they just don't get it.

Re: Re: Re: Hard to find CSOs

Angie, if I lived there I would have applied in a second. Here in the twin cities of MN, it's VERY, VERY competitive when it comes to CSO jobs. If you don't have at least a two year degree you won't even be interviewed.

I don't know if it's just the kids we've hired are "northshore brats" or what, but we haven't had the best luck with college kids. One went on to get sworn and most of the officer don't like him. Right after he got out of the academy I told one of the guys that he would be telling him how to do his job. He laughed, but a month later came up to me and asked if I remembered saying that. He said I was right on.

The kid we've got now told me that he can talk his way out of anything. And boy he's tried. The constant BS is amazing. I've told him that I can't trust him as far as I can see him. I've been asked if he's as bad as the first guy and he's worse beyond measure. I swear that he's been told at least 20 times (I'm not exaggerating)to do something and he refuses(or "forgets"). He put that uniform on and it went straight to his head, probably because he was raised in town. I can't believe they've kept him this long.

I think you're better off with people a little more mature. There are very few 19-20 year old that can handle that kind of authority. I've been in contact with Derek and I think he is one of the very few. Hard to come by. Wish he lived the the Chicago area.

Re: Re: Hard to find CSOs

College kids all want to be police officers. They don't seem to have a problem with being an intern because that is part of the price they pay to get through school. Being a CSO seems to be below them which does not bode well for how they will treat a CSO in the future when they are a patrol officer. We had a candidate for CSO who came from a court security position and some day wanted to become a patrol officer. He paid so little attention to being a CSO that he was not offered a permenant position.
There are plenty of mature people out there looking for a change and hoping to get into a position where they can help others. The problem is that these people need a real wage. Going with a "college student" is a way to keep the wages down.

I work for a college and the best way to get students involved is to talk to the head of the law enforcement program at the colleges in your area. They may be able to help you with getting students who are interested. Good Luck.

i'm going to be applying for a cso job on monday, i stumbled across this researching the job.. i was worried that being the age of 19 and not having much experience that i wouldn't even get considered, but this made it seem very promising as your post is exactly why i want to do it.