Return to Website

Community Service Officer Forum

Here is where any civilian law enforcement personel can share work experiences, problems, ideas, and promote equality in the workplace. Please join the discussion.

Community Service Officer Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: More Questions

I have found the citizens I deal with to be generally polite and call me Sir. They don't much care if I don't look exactly like the officers. In fact I one time had someone appeal to me because they thought I was the patrol officer's supervisor.
On the phone I have used Officer Christensen more than Community Service Officer Christensen simply because it is too long (I don't think most people know the difference anyway).
The supervisors use CSO Christensen a lot.
With officers that think they don't do the work, usually they just say "is a/the CSO available?" It seems that they don't want to personalize it by using your name.
Bullet proof vests?
I have not used one but even I have thought about it. We did have a 3-11 shift woman that wore one. i had an incident where I became involved with someone that ended up armed with a knife. I was told that the vest would not have helped me if he had decided to attack me. We have someone that takes two shirts and sandwiches the vest in between them so the vest is actually worn outside the shirt but looks the same. The guys really like them better now. That is what I would do if I got one. My wife said I should retire before I get a vest. If I think it is that dangerous she does not want me doing it any longer.

Re: More Questions

Here in Tucson, AZ, the CSOs are referred to as CSO internally within the department. When we are doing callback reports we identify ourselves as "Officer Jones with the Tucson Police Department." We ARE officers! - *community service* OFFICERS. We are very careful not to portray ourselves as commissioned officers, peace officers, POST certified officers, or anything that would mislead the public into thinking we are more than what we are. Bottom line is, when a citizen asks for help from the police they want an officer...and when I roll up in a marked unit, wearing a uniform, with patches that say Tucson Police Dept - the public is satisfied.

As for our officers, we have a FEW who will dump calls on the CSOs; they are the same ones who dump calls on other officers. If I can do the call, I do it - hey, I got a car, free paperwork, and they pay me to be there so I got no excuses - BUT, the next time that officer calls for a camera at his/her scene they might have to wait a bit until I finish my paperwork before responding...instead of me clearing to take their camera call before doing my paperwork.

I had one officer who "lost" his fingerprint kit, so whenever he took a burglary or car bust call he'd ask for the CSO to respond to do prints. Printing a scene ALWAYS leaves you with dust on your uniform, your arms where the gloves don't cover, and often your face. No matter what you do, how careful you are, it happens. So he didn't like it very much at all when I picked up a BRAND NEW print kit from Evidence and made a big deal of presenting it to him at his squad roll call briefing...

These are the exceptions. Most officers I work with LOVE having a CSO available to take the lower priority calls so they can handle the hot toned-up calls. They appreciate our work, and let us know how much we were missed if we take a day off. You EARN the respect of the other officers the same way they earn it - by being a competent, professional, self-starter.

As for a bulletproof vest - I am the reason why Tucson PD gives its CSOs the option of accepting or refusing a free department issued vest. If we accept it, we have to wear it. If we refuse it, we do so in writing. I showed our command staff that buying a CSO a $500 vest every 5 years is a lot cheaper than the law suit my wife will slam the city with if I come home (or worse, DON'T come home!) with extra holes in me that a vest would have prevented. Commissioned officers with TPD get an $800 uniform allowance, but must buy their own vests and backup guns with that (and no, TPD CSOs do NOT carry any firearms! Even if we have a CCW permit and our own guns, carrying heat while on duty will get you fired, arrested, and very much on everyone's short list of idiots). I wear a vest every day I work, even in Tucson in August when it's 110 degrees. I drive a marked patrol car, and if some imbecile decides that today would be a good day to try "suicide by cop" by initiating a call that ends in a gun duel then I at least have a chance to go home that day. Is it a guarantee? No. But it is insurance. Your call...