Return to Website

Community Service Officer Forum

Here is where any civilian law enforcement personel can share work experiences, problems, ideas, and promote equality in the workplace. Please join the discussion.

Community Service Officer Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Vests, Shields, Batons, Mace and Firearms

I am a CSO assigned to Investigations, since 2001, in Santa Cruz, CA. after 7 years as abandoned vehicle officer. I was first assigned to a county auto theft unit, which consisted of a DA Inspector/CHP officer/ and another agency officer.

We all attended the same auto theft classes, evidence processing, "chop shop" seminars, etc. as a team. It was great.

My job included vehicle processing, evidence collection/booking and follow up on cases with victims regarding property recovered. In addition I was actively working my agency's stolen vehicle follow up.

I was re-assigned back to Investigations in mid "03 and completed my CSI classes in addition to Fingerprint recognition/techniques classes. In March '04 I completed my Latent Comparison Examiner course.

My current position is Crime Scene Investigator along with review of all submitted latents for ALPS/AFIS, processing of all evidence for the department, review/exam of latent comparisons, training of audio/video equipment for Investigations.

Our CSOs who work patrol take all but in progress felony calls (burglary, auto theft etc.) and handled most of the accidents including minor injury. They work foot, vehicle and bicycle patrol along with officers.

Our uniformed CSOs carry baton, mace and are issued ballistic vests. All are required for uniform duty. CSOs wear light blue w/ black epaulets. We have a rocker over the shoulder patch that states "Community Service Officer". Shield badges (cloth or silver) state badge number and "CSO" on them. Our ball caps are similar with a large "CSO" insignia.

I was issued a ballistic vest, have a baton and mace, that I wear at all crime scenes. My vest carrier is specifically marked wqith Crime Scene Investigator on the back in 2" letters.

From 1977 till 1983 I was a part time paid reserve and then temporary full time paid reserve. From 1984 to 1990 I was a municipal wharf officer with peace officer powers.

In 1990 the city restructured positions and classifications. The municipal wharf officer position was reclassified as a non-sworn position and loss of police powers.

I missed that certain piece of equipment for the first couple of years but now I have accepted the fact that I will not be able to carry a weapon (firearm) on duty again.

FSLA prevents CSO position form carrying a firearm due to status as a civilian. To carry the firearm would require peace officer powers which would mean peace officer "PAY" which we all know just "ain't gonna happen".

CSOs are the backbone of the departments and do not receive the credit due them. I am one of the lucky ones- I am constantly thanked by fellow officers, supervisors and yes, even Chiefs ( I am on my fourth chief at this department) for the job I do.

After all I don't do it for the money - I do it for the pride and honor of serving the community. I do it for myself knowing I am doing the best job I can.

I love my job and am happy to still have a job at almost 53 yrs. old. I will never stop learning and/or teaching others, for someone will have to take my place when I can no longer do the job.

So forget the firearm thing or become a police officer as over 25 former CSOs at our department have done.

Take care Be Safe

I am the Community Service Officer for the Macomb Illinois PD. My uniform is black BDU's with shoulder patches and a soft badge (patch) on the chest. The only deffensive woepon I have is OC spray. I have not had to use it in my 4 years of service but I have had to draw it several times just in case. Every time we deal with the public we have the same chance of being harmed as a police officer. I do wear a vest despite the discomfort. There are several police officers in the department that would like for me to carry a firearm. One of the range officers would like to put me through the firearm training but the Chief is against it. I do go out to the range and shoot somtimes and I am very capable of qualifying. Once a year I have a LT. that brings up the firearm issue but so far it has been denied. When I attended CSO Training several others carried firearms. I think that for me it would be a good idea. I work a shift that is inbetween first and second. On first shift there are only usually only two officers on duty and I often find my self acting as their back up on minor calls. Things that start out minor have a way of escalating quickly. I would feel safer with a fire arm. On the other hand it could get you into more trouble. The most recent time I wished I had a fire arm was on a Junk Vehicle inspection. A man was not very pleased with my presence and would not let me on his property. His body and verbal language was becoming very aggressive so I called for 10-60. The man looked me in the eyes and said "What are you going to do, you don't even have a gun." He turned and ran back into his house. I didn't know what he was doing, I was afraid he was going to get a gun so I got into my vehicle and drove around the block untill a police officer arrived. That was the first time I really felt naked without one. I will probably never carry a fire arm but I think I should.

Here in North Las Vegas PD, we are issued blue paramedic style pants and a bright red polo shirt with "CSO" and a badge with the words "civilian" above the badge (in case there was a POST certified CSO). The theory behind the red shirts is so that we will not be confused for officers, however, the shirts make a excellent target. Its funny how our Explorers have a light blue shirt with a real badge.

We are issued pepper spray and a radio. We are currently using second hand bullet proof vests, however, we were able to talk the department into getting us our own vests fitted to us. We are trying to get tasers, however, that might take a while.

Re: Re: Vests, Shields, Batons, Mace and Firearms

Hello,

I am A CSO Officer for Bell Gardens Police In California. Do you CSO's Have tasers now? Or still working on it? If you could email me at rnavarro@bgpd.org I would appreciated. thank you.

R. Navarro #389

interesting, we sort of have the same problem here, our Volinteer and Americorp people seem to have better uniforms and vehicles then we do??? I cant understand it eather...They look more like officers then us too?