FELT Forum

Welcome to our Felt/Denim/Go-Kart Mozart forum. Feel free to post a message.

FELT Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A temporary valediction

There is much less disagreement than one might think. Again, you have already provided many of the pertinent facts, but they just need bringing into greater perspicuity.

Your reference to "Index" is one that I foresaw as part of any potential response. If you look at my forum additions of last year, it will be seen that I commented on the pre-Felt years. It was during this period that LH learnt his craft with MD. The former had a zero knowledge of music creation in 1978 when the two met; he could not even tune the guitar (and still could not in 1985 when MD left). So, even before the time of Felt (and therefore Index) MD was teaching LH what to do with the guitar. May I also point out that I was not including Index in my analysis, as I was referencing Felt 80-85 and comparing it to Felt 86-90. In this context Index does owe its heritage to both Deebank and punk. I trust that this clarifies the point.

With regard to the issue of esotericism I was, as I indicated, feeding off your statement that later Felt did not enjoy the ethereal spirit of earlier Felt. This I agreed with you on. However, if one takes my point that the Deebank legacy had to live on through inevitability, then there is the possibility that faint echos of this esoteric spirit of earlier Felt lived on. Whether it does or not I shall leave to the listener to decide. The fact that Felt did go on to make two instrumental recordings is testimony to the fact that the ethos created by Deebank lived on, as he was instrumental (forgive the pun and the repetition) in championing music without vocals.

You make the distinction between the "music" and the vocal aspect of the compositions. Again, I foresaw that this would be brought up. I was referring to the none vocal creative parts of the songs only; so, when I mentioned "music", I was not including words and lyrics in my analysis. This you have sensed and provided an explanation to that effect. Therefore, Haybaler is free to talk about his vocal influences without interference from me. I trust that this makes perpiscacious the semantics of the word "music".

I think that where we do disagree, though is on the word, "esoteric" and "exoteric". My understanding of these words is such that I could apply the former to a three minute piece of strophic music that contains no instrumental passages whatsoever. I shall avoid giving a definition of the word esoteric from my own point of view, though, as I do not have the time; neither does it matter.

This has been a very rushed response for which I apologise, but It does reflect the true nature of events as they continue to unravel on this most eximious of forums.

Finally, all who find happiness and development in later Felt music should continue to listen to these most worthy musical creations. Try not to see it in terms of "fashion", though. If you like it, then enjoy it and derive the benefit that you do from it with confidence. Always remain open-minded, but at the same time be firm in your beliefs. This will give you the balance that Mr. Deebank sought in his music..., something that I believe he was completely successful with.

Best wishes to you and all Felters.