FELT Forum

Welcome to our Felt/Denim/Go-Kart Mozart forum. Feel free to post a message.

FELT Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I might just mention

Perhaps at this juncture I should just mention something about how I express myself..., scriptually, I mean.

Some of the time I use rhetoric devices like: oxymorons, hyperbole, metaphor etc. Some of the things that I write, therefore, might not be what they seem. They may be dressed up in certain rhetoric garb; they may even be exaggerated for dramatic effect.

An example is my apparent hatred of certain musicians. This is not to be taken literally; I love everyone of them as human beings (I very much like some of Ozzy's music, and I listen to Alice Cooper's radio quite often), but some things about them are false when it comes to their art, and it is that disingenuousness that does not sit comfortably with me.

This is just an example, so please be aware that you are not misled by any others please Felters. I just thought that I would mention it for your convenience.

Re: I might just mention

No need to apologise, Nigel; and good to see you're posting again, especially in a more positive context.

I appreciate your sentiments in criticising musicians who adopt public personas which are very different from their private ones, but this is an inescapable aspect of performance (as opposed to 'art' in itself, which should always be essentially honest) that is as old as the act of performance in itself. People can wear masks in order to give more impact to the message they wish to convey, and it needn't necessarily detract from said message; I'm sure you'll agree.

**** right about Sting and Bono though!

I notice your three selections of favourite Felt songs (and I would find the task almost impossible personally) includes no post-Deebank material. As you are a former student of his this is of course to some extent understandable.

In my experience, however, a lot of Felt fans see the post-Deebank period as yielding equally rich material, albeit of without the unique style, tones and textures provided by Mr. Deebank. Lawrence's songwriting and lyrics had obviously evolved between the first and last LPs, and let us not forget that it was a Deebank-free Felt which delivered two of their biggest-selling and most critically-acclaimed works (Forever Breathes... and Poem...) not to mention 'Me and a Monkey...', often referred to as the 'pilot' album for Back In Denim, which in turn is considered by many to be Lawrence's masterwork.

So I'm just wondering; do you have any post-Deebank favourites? Or maybe some opinions / stories / whatever you can spare on the post-MD material, in particular your thoughts on the guitar playing and musicianship in general.

Thank you for what you've shared so far, and I hope to see it continue.