FELT Forum

Welcome to our Felt/Denim/Go-Kart Mozart forum. Feel free to post a message.

FELT Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Third and final choice

Nigel Silver

Tell me something about your playing experience, infuences, equipment etc.

Experience-wise, I was the guitarist in a band, the output of which the NME chose to call 'New Psych', but i've never been 100% sure what that actually means.
We released a single on the Fierce Panda label and toured with bands like Spectrum, Fuxa, Six By Seven. We even opened a couple of gigs for Coldplay, of all people, during their time on the same label.
We disbanded before we could go any further, due mostly to infighting.

I use a Tele and a 335. I don't use too many effects, mainly an electro-harmonix memory man delay and reverb.

The bands sound was a combination of chiming guitars and church-like farfisa. If you can imagine such a thing.
My influences, as a guitarist, would include Will Sergeant, Maurice Deebank, Duane Denison, Nick Drake and Bert Jansch.

How about you Nigel, what guitar(s) do you use?

Also, I'd love to hear more about how you met Maurice Deebank and what he himself is up to these days.

Re "Sempiternal Darkness" being the inferior title - I totally agree. Funnily enough I remember Lawrence being interviewed around the time Felt ceased to be - he said "Sempiternal Darkness" and "Never Let You Go" were titles that he now regrets using. He told me a few years ago that this also applied to the album title "Let The Snakes Crinkle Their Heads To Death". For the Cherry Red reissue he planned to retitle the album "The Seventeenth Century" but somewhere along the line communications must have faltered and the reissue kept the original title.

Crystal Ball is one of my favourites because Mr. Deebank's guitar writing and playing seem impossibly magnificent. I quite simply have never heard such complexity that is combined so successfully with beauty. When musicians try to make music sound more complicated, then aesthetics very often begin to take a tumble. Nothing is compromised though in Crystal Ball..., nothing at all.

I encountered Mr Deebank at a local guitar club in the area that we both lived in. Mr. Deebank had been asked by the club to come along and give a talk on his work and to play to us. He then asked for a volunteer to come and improvise a duet with him. I realise in retrospect that I must have gone completely insane to put myself forward, but after having seen him play and the type of things that he said and the way that he made that custom guitar that he had with him sound, I just wanted to get up there with him and get to know this fretboard wizard better. I was not very good in those days and very much an aspirant, but he agreed to meet me later; and when we did he took me on as a student. I have never looked back since. And I can tell you that he is as good a teacher as he is a composer and player.

I am afraid that I am unable to give any information out about Mr D's present circumstances as he is a very private person, but I do not think he will mind if I say some things about his past. Keep watching the forum.

I have a Fender Stratocaster.

It sounds like you have done quite a lot with your musical ability then. Good for you. Are the Telecaster and 335 Fender and Gibson respectively, or are they copies. Mr. D loves the feel of the 335 and the 175, and he favours the Tele for a very thin bright sound. For the girl vocal version of "Fortune", he used a 1970 sunburst Fender Telecaster.

It is interesting for the forum to hear about your experience.

Do not forget about the most important subject of all Felters..., IMAGERY! It is a subject that should go on for months; therefore delve deep into your Inner Thought Zones.

Re the girl vocal version of "Fortune" - does anyone know who the girl in question was?

Hi Nigel,

The Telecaster is a Fender (USA made) and the 335 is an Epiphone. I would dearly love a Gibson but the prices are way beyond my pocket i'm afraid.

I would love to know which guitars/amps/effects Deebank used on 'Ignite the Seven Canons'. I love the intricate but still understated guitar lines on that album, especially on tracks like 'Black ship in the harbour' and 'Scarlet Servants'.
Would you happen to know?