FELT Forum

Welcome to our Felt/Denim/Go-Kart Mozart forum. Feel free to post a message.

FELT Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Shampoo

Hi Robert.
I already mentioned this in the Felt site (Related Discography)...also on Lawrence's wiki page btw. Being a free spirit, Lawrence always disliked collaborations and "get togethers", but it seems this time he made an exception.(maybe he was into one of the girls...who knows :) )

Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEUI4Q6sCLs

It sounds a lot like Go Kart Mozart
Excellent post Robert!!

RK

Ah ok now I see the mention. The record isn't listed in the discography which is what I was looking for.

Yeah all three tracks aren't far from the Denim/GKM sound.

In 1992, at a St Etienne concert at a club called SE1 in Victoria, I bumped into Lawrence. "Middle Of The Road" had just been released. He had two girls with him. These two later became Shampoo. Lawrence was the songwriter for the first two singles "Bouffant Headbutt" and "Blisters And Bruises" - under the name Discotheque USA - and he also named the band. The girls at the time were running the fan club magazine for Manic Street Preachers. I just remember talking to Lawrence whilst the two girls looked on disinterested.

From what I read, their Manics fanzine lead to them writing for the NME, which I'm guessing is how they connected with Bob Stanley... and from there to Lawrence.

Without wishing to get too prurient, I've often wondered if Lawrence was romantically involved with either of them.

They appear to have vanished off the face of the earth. Their surly and dismissive interviews were a hoot.