FELT Forum

Welcome to our Felt/Denim/Go-Kart Mozart forum. Feel free to post a message.

FELT Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lawrence of Belgravia discussion

To be fair to Mr. Silver - one part Lawrence reads he acknowledges that it is true - another part - he remarks - that Nigel must have been talking to Maurice. It's only the bit at the end where Lawrence describes it as "rubbish".

I was there on the Sunday - so only saw Debsy Dolly Mixture and Paul Kelly - but re celebs on Saturday - thought Sarah was there.....

I went for the Saturday showing. Yes, it was very nicely shot and pretty entertaining in general. Thought there may have been a little more in there about his plunging into heroin addiction and the ensuing recovery, but hey, I'm nit-picking as Mr Kelly did a fine job.

What I did wonder was how others would perceive Lawrence if this film was their introduction to him, his music and lifestyle. We all love the man and he can do little wrong in our eyes, but to someone at the premiere who has neither heard his back catalogue nor been party to the legendary stories and interviews (step forward Ed Whitfield) I can kind of understand a negative take on him. Let's be honest here and say that anybody hearing certain GKM tracks featured in the film as their first 'taste' of his music would be rather perplexed, and of course Paul Kelly already being a fan would always show him in a favourable light. However, I think that Lawrence's charm, self-pity and wit would have endeared him to most 'newbies' and previous abstainers - even if 'Vagina's Allure' isn't parked next to 'Astral Weeks' in their CD collection come January.

Oh, on the celeb front I didn't see Ms Cracknell but Pete Astor was sat with that band Lawrence has been ferrying about in that Volvo of his. He's looking a well chap these days.

It's fair to say I had a wonderfully obsessive week as came down from Midlands, stayed with friends and went to all four nights!
Thankfully the excellent film repaid repeat viewing and each viewing was different as were all 4 audiences.
I think Lawrence and Paul were genuinely touched by the mainly positive reaction and only the big hits of the festival got extra screenings.
Added Thur 'celeb' sightings were The Guardian's Alexis Petredis (big Felt fan have a look at his twitter) with (I'm pretty sure) Ben Watt & TV presenter Dougie Anderson with Bluetone's guitarist Adam Devlin.

Ms Cracknell definitely was there. I have that authority from the most reliable of sources - Ms Cracknell herself!

percy
So, who's seen it? I went on Saturday and thought it was better than I could ever have hoped for. I knew that I'd be watching a film about Lawrence for 90 minutes and that was an incredible enough proposition but I never imagined that it's be so beautifully filmed. I don't want to go into too much detail as I'm sure that many people on here won't have seen it yet but it was such a fantastic night. There was a Q & A after, Lawrence seemed really well.
He reads out some of Nigel Silver's posts from here and says that they're a load of old bull**** (or something)!

I went on Tuesday and loved every minute of it. It was saddest but funniest film I can remember seeing. Surely deserving of a wider release, and I think Lawrence's unique approach to life would transcend anybody being familiar with his music.
Over the years, the legend has grown so much I found it strange seeing him do "normal" things, like driving a car - I have it in my head that Lawrence exists outside of such practicalities.
And as Lee pointed out, that is somewhat harsh on Nigel, as in fact, Lawrence looks up in amazement and asks if he's been talking to Maurice, before confirming that what Nigel wrote is exactly how it happened. There follows the story of the last time that Loz saw Moz (although I think its the anecdote about the sisters nicknames for the pair of them that Lawrence does label as rubbish)