WELCOME TO MOMS MESSAGEBOARD

https://www.facebook.com/MOMS-Mothers-of-Murdered-SonsDaughters-204883439

You can find on Facebook at:

Debbie Wiley – MOMS Founder 

Messageboard is back up, please join other moms on the messageboard.

-->
WELCOME TO MOMS MESSAGEBOARD
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More impact statement questions

Dear MOMS
As Nicky's trial nears June 7th I have been working on my impact statement.Does anyone know when this is read? I thought it was read at sentencing,no jury right? Usually sentencing is like a month after the trial correct? Who decides it's length the court or me? Is everyone in the family allowed to read a statement? My kids each want to say something. I noticed Deb Wiley's wasn't very long but they cut it down anyway.Haleigh's was a good length and they didn't make them shorten it.Does it depend on the state? I have heard video's are allowed in some states,but can't find out if that is true for Pa.I know I can probably call my DA but thought those of you who have gone through this process might know better.At what point do you have people write letters to the judge on the sentencing part of it.Also does anyone know if 1 juror is undecided can they throw it out like a hung jury? Would there even be a possibility that these 2 can walk? My mind is going a mile a minute,sorry all jumbled up inside.Love you all and God Bless.

Re: More impact statement questions

Barb
Here in Ca. only family were allowed to have impact statements and we read them at sentencing no jury. Letters to the judge were asked for after the conviction. So I was able to write a letter to the judge and have my impact statement too. Sentencing well that is another thing the defense can screw that up for you our sentencing kept getting put off because of requests by the defense it took 4 months before sentencing for us. I don't know about videos but I did make a big poster board with pictures of Jimmy which my sister held while I read my impact statement. We just had a trial here become a mistrial I am not sure what happened other than the POS was out on bail and tried to commit suicide twice, finally a new trial was scheduled but the guy succeeded in the suicide before the trial started again. Hope this helps a bit it is a very trying time to say the least. I am still all jumbled up inside.
Love ya Barb
Jimmy's Mom

Barb, I think it would be best to ask the Da or victim advocate if you have one. In our case me and Keara's siblings were allowed to read our impact statements and also the ones Keara's children wrote. They did not curtail the length of the statements and in fact did not ask to read them ahead of time. I think it varies though from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The impact statements are always read at sentencing I believe. I am sure your mind is racing. This is such a stressful time. If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

Thank you ladies for your quick response.You have answered some of my questions,I guess I will have to get in touch with my DA or advocate for the length,video etc and when they think sentencing may take place.I am glad to hear that siblings can voice their opinion too,that will help in their healing process I think.Love and God Bless I hope you are all doing well

I forgot to add that we had a blown up picture of Keara and her children that was put on an easel.

Hey Barb you have some good questions. when you find out the answers please let me know since I'm in PA too I would like to know those answers myself. I like the idea of having a big picture/portrait or collage' and being able to have that held up in court/or sentencing. Good luck with all this. I started like 3 statements last year, never went back to them but I know when the time is right I will. I also hope my boys will want to say something but it worries me what they might say!

Love ya
Bette

Barb,
We read our impact statements at sentencing without the jury. Once the jury renders a verdict they are excused. We could only have 2 people from each family to read statements because there were 3 families involved. We were able to show pictures and submit letters to the judge. Hope this helps.
Love, Paula

Dear MOMS
Thanks for all your help.I wanted to re read the impact statements you all posted to this site.They were a beautiful tribute to your children/grandchildren of your undying love for them.

Shirley I just noticed 2 days ago that you posted Jimmy's.I want to thank you and the other MOMS for sharing them.I loved the poetry involved.You all were truly the voices crying out for justice for your children.Love and God Bless to you all

We did ours yesterday and I am getting ready to put them up for Deb to post to the site. It was me Jared and Doug. We were told to keep it to nor more then 5 people and to keep in mind that the Judge may tune out if it goes on too long. We were told we could say anything we wanted, but a continuous name calling of POC might get us cut short. We ahd no intention of that anyway. Our goal was to let him know Kaylin and how much we loved and missed her. We took Shirley's advice and had pictures of Kaylin on a fold out poster board that my MIL help up during our statements. I also took a picture of Kaylin in her casket and at a part in my impact statement I showed it to the Judge. When I post my statement I will put where that point was. I do think each place is different so check with them to see what is allowed. It is a shame we only have a brief time to share what will be a lifetime of pain.