WELCOME TO MOMS MESSAGEBOARD

https://www.facebook.com/MOMS-Mothers-of-Murdered-SonsDaughters-204883439

You can find on Facebook at:

Debbie Wiley – MOMS Founder 

Messageboard is back up, please join other moms on the messageboard.

-->
WELCOME TO MOMS MESSAGEBOARD
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sentencing Arguements and then Sentencing Update on Justice for Haleigh

We did not expect everything that took place on March 15 when we were to read our impact statements to the judge,the defense called all kinds of witnesses they argued mitigating and aggravating factors.Now they are saying he was sexually and physically abused as a child and he is borderline mentally retarded, he is below average, not mentally retarded, it's amazing how the defense can manipulate findings and words, and be down right mean to the family that is suffering from what their defendant did. We are seeking the death penalty, and this is the process, we thought it was sentencing. However sentencing day is April 5, so we are going to travel back down to Florida for this, if we can afford it. My daughter and I and the biological father got to read our impact statements to the judge, that is up there with one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, but we did it! The rest of the impact statements were submitted to the judge for her to read, I was disappointed I wanted to read all of them to the judge. The "justice system" really puts the victims family through the wringer. No matter what the judge sentences him to he will die in prison, it's either Death or Life without parole. Could someone tell me how to post my Granddaughter's picture with my name for the forums? I am also going to try to post my impact statement, thank all of you for your help and support.

Re: Sentencing Arguements and then Sentencing Update on Justice for Haleigh

Dear Carla
I am so sorry that just when you thought that it was sentencing time they threw you this curve ball.I learn alot from this board as I never knew that the defense arguing goes on and on even after trial.How is that? Is it because it is a death penalty case? Like the governor reprieving someone at the last minute? I thought the impact statement was last, right before sentencing,and that was done the same day as sentencing.How many impact statements are you allowed? The defense can argue on and on and the court doesn't hear every word her loved ones have to say? Unbelievable!!!!I have heard that sometimes they shorten the statements.I would love to hear your statement and if you can post it that would be great.I'm sorry that I don't know how to put a picture on here either.I tried,Shirley tried to tell me how but it didn't work.I always like to put a face to a name.Love and God Bless you and your family

Dear Barb,
I think it is because it is a death penalty case. Expect anything and everything from the defense. They put us through hell, they tried to blame it on my daughter, they will stop at nothing. They don't care how much more they hurt you.I have sent mine and Jessica's impact statements into the website to be posted, they should be on soon, she said she would post them asap. I think you can have only one impact statement per person, that's all we could have. I'm sure someone out there knows how to do the picture and will let us know. I hope you are surviving, that is all I do anymore is survive day to day. The pain is unbearable and it does not get better. Had a pretty bad day today, I am grateful for MOMS they have really helped me a lot.
Talk to you soon
Carla

Hi Ladies...In the section below website...Avatar URL is where you enter the "properties" of the picture you want to enter. I do believe it must come from an online site however not from your computer/picture file. So if you have a memory site, facebook, etc. then you should upload the pictures to that site. Then right click on the picture & select properties, copy the address.If you want to insert a picture here with your message those instructions can be found in the bbcode-- you will see it right after Enter Message. That basically is the same idea you need the properties of the pictures then you use the

Good Job Carla let's see if mine takes.Thanks Laura/Av and Shirley.You basically have to talk to me like I'm a 2 yr old with this computer.Keep your fingers crossed.

Carla
the sentencing in My Jim's case was put off for four months, every time a date was set the defense came up with something. The last time we went for sentencing the defense had submitted paperwork for a new trial, he didn't submit it until that day thinking the DA and Judge would have enough time to read it and that sentencing would be put off for another month. That day he and the POS got a big surprise because both the DA and Judge had read all the paperwork and the Judge said "Sentencing will be today, no new trial". You are right about defense attorneys I don't know how they can live with themselves or even sleep at night. But I Guess Money Talks.

Our sentencing was today and because there were 3 families involved only 2 people from each family could speak but we were alowwed to submit letters, photos and I submitted the memorial book of cindy's website which included all our angels. It took the judge about a half hour to decide on the POS's sentence and he came up with 160 years (for all 3 counts total to be served comsectively). Love, Paula

Cooleo Barb I knew you could do it.
I put my pics on the kimi site or in photo bucket then just click on embeded code copy and paste to the board.
Hugs
Jim's Mom

Carla what a beautiful little angel just know that all of our angels will be watching over Haleigh.
Hugs
Jimmy's Mom

Paula,
I am glad that POS will never walk free again. I know that was a hard day for you.
Hugs
Carla

Carla, my heart goes out to your and your family. My daughter, Jody, was murdered on June 3, 2007 and it's been a nightmare every sense. My daughter was murdered by the father of her child. I've been a paralegal for 12 years and never experienced anything like this until my baby was murdered. You can email your impact statement to Debbie and she will post it. I'm having a really bad night thinking about Jody. He was finally convicted to life in prison on February 12, 2009 after many continuations....because you know they have all the rights. He's appealing the decision and it's just making my suffering even worse, but I know "it's their right to appeal." He shot my baby and was on his way to kill my son when he turned himself in. The justice system is really messed up and we need to all get together and change it. Good luck on April 5th.
Cheryl (Jody's mom)

Cheryl
I am going through the appeal thing too, I got a copy of the appeal and finally a copy of the response to the appeal. 99% of my heart knows the POS won't get a new trial but its the other 1% that eats at me. You are so right they do have all the rights.
Hugs
Jim's Mom

Hi Cheryl,
I have sent mine and Jessica"s(Haleigh's Mom) impact statements in to Debbie, but they have not been posted yet. Yes I agree something needs to change, we, the family of the victim, are victims also, we have no rights what so ever. Oh, we get to do impact statements, but they have to be approved to be read to the court, that's why I worked so hard on mine, it was the only time I had a say, my daughter felt the same.I am so sorry for your loss, and I understand those "bad nights", I have them quite often also. Booger was our life.
Hugs
Carla