WELCOME TO MOMS MESSAGEBOARD

https://www.facebook.com/MOMS-Mothers-of-Murdered-SonsDaughters-204883439

You can find on Facebook at:

Debbie Wiley – MOMS Founder 

Messageboard is back up, please join other moms on the messageboard.

-->
WELCOME TO MOMS MESSAGEBOARD
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sentencing and could the MOMS give us some guidance on the impact statement

Today we had a hearing to scheule sentencing, it is scheduled for March 15, in 2 weeks, I thought that was quick. We are getting ready to go home, we live in Martinsburg, West Virginia, it's a long drive from Panama City Florida. But that's ok we will get rested and turn around in 2 weeks and travel back down. We have to get our impact statements done, we have been working on them for over a year. Nothing will stop me and my family from having our say. Can you all guide me on how this is suppose to be done (written), the state attorney said he would send us an outline of how it is to be done, but with the distance and how long it takes us to get mail from Florida I don't know if we will get it in time and be able to return it on time. I need help and suggestions. I hate to ask because I know it is very difficult to talk about and I don't want to cause anyone any pain, but if you can, we would really appreciate your guidance. I have read the impact statements that are posted,and they are very well done.
Thank You MOMS
Booger's G'Maw

Re: Sentencing and could the MOMS give us some guidance on the impact statement

Carla, we are doing ours now too. In CA we can say whatever we want but they discourage attacking the POC. I have been working on mine forever too but it is hard to put 20 years of her life in a brief statement. Did you read the ones on the main page? I have read them trying to decide just how I want to say what I have to say. It is our chance to say what we need to. The one time we can be the voice of our child. It is emotional isn't it?

I am happy to see that at least some of the moms are getting some sort of justice for their child. It hurts knowing that I never will. I am so angry that my son's murderer got off on a no bill. I've called attorney's for months trying to get some help or advice and the few that have bothered to call me back say there is nothing I can do criminally or civilally. I don't know where else to turn. I don't understand how it can be okay to murder in this little podunk town that I grew up in. How can this be okay. My family will never get to give our impact statements. No one cares about what the effects of my son's murder have been on us. No one cares that a murderer is walking the streets and living his life as though he's done nothing wrong. I am falling apart and I don't know what else to do. How can the death certificate say cause of death is homocide and no one have to pay for what they did?

Carla & Kim
I too had a hard time trying to write my impact statement I would write one then throw it away I just couldn't find the right words. Then I found a poem here on the message board it was great I took that poem and I changed it around a bit then added some of my own stuff and finally felt good about what I had written. Our sentencing kept getting put off it took four months before the POS was finally sentenced.

Kim I was also told to address the judge with my impact statement not the POS, my sister in her statement ripped Marlin and his mother she told it like it was. You can also Google impact statements and maybe get some ideas there.
Love and Hugs
Jim's Mom

Alisa
Have you tried contacting POMC maybe someone there can help you. It seems to me you could file a wrongful death suit.
Jim's Mom

I was going to suggest POMC too, I think on their website they have a link or a section for impact statements.

Best of luck to you on this, I know it has to be so exhausting and draining and very emotional. No matter what you say you will speak the words you need as your are your angel's voice!

Bette
Timmy's mom

Alisa, You can have an impact statement. Put it here. Put it on his memorial page. They may have taken the chance to say it TO him away for now but they cannot take your chance to say it to us and everyone who visits his site or here. I had thought that if we didn't get the open plea I was going to put it on fb, her memorial, here and anywhere I could because I need to say it. I hope that came out right and made sense. I'm tired and my contacts are fuzzing over so I hope I am not jabbering on and not making sense.
I agree that POMC is a good place to check. It doesn't make sense to me either, but knowing the area adn the size of the towns and that not a lot of murders happen in these little towns, I wonder just how qualified the officers investigating were. They don't really have to deal with murders so did they drop the ball in the investigation? I know it seems so hard getting anyone to listen to us when the POC get everything handed to them to protect Their Rights.

MOMS Thank You so much I will use a;ll your suggestions and I will let you all know what I come up with, I will post it for you to read.
This is harder than I thought it would be, I don't know if I will be able to read it myself, I may get the victims advocate to read it for me. I watched none of the trial, I could not control my emotions, I even broke down while the Judge read the jury instructions.
Thanks and Love
Booger's G;Maw

Dear Carla
You will do just fine.I think when my time comes to do the impact statement,I will not even mention the murderers,why give them any more of my time than I have to.I will just let everyone in that court room know what my son meant to all that loved him.This is MY time to show all of them what a wonderful,caring person Nicky was.We all know this,but after the lawyers try to drag his memory through the mud this is my chance to show the court that although his murderers decided it was time to erase my son from this earth,they will never erase the beautiful memories we all hold deep in our hearts.My hope is that they will realize leaving that court room that Nicky's murder was a huge injustice and take my words home with them.It just might make them hug their children a little tighter.

Dear Alisa
I think Kim's idea is wonderful and I hope you do an impact statement on here for us.You have things you want to say and we would all love to hear it.I am truly sorry about the injustice that was handed to you.When he kills again,and that is just a matter of time,I hope you shout it to every newspaper and tv camera around that this could have been prevented.

Dear Kim
I know you will be working diligently on your statement,touching on all the wonderful aspects of Kaylin's life.As we have all gotten to know each others children through cyber space your words will give the court a beautiful picture of who Kaylin is without their even having met her.I wish you the BEST

Love and God Bless to all of you