Return to Website

Football Coaching Courses

Help for Courses and Drills.

Soccer Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Poaching?

I currently coach an Under 11's team, during a recent game we scored what proved to be the winning goal at 2-1. It was a very tight game and was evenly contested. When we scored the opposing manager went beserk at this poor kid, screaming at him that he was solely responsible for the defeat. He cited that he turned his back at the key moment. I was appalled by this. At the end of the game I told him what I thought, he was not happy and said what the F*** has it got to do with me? So I told him that how will the boy learn to enjoy his football under those conditions, which again I received the same reply. When he had left I was approached by a set of opposition Parents who said they were impressed with what I had said, and if there sons could play for me next year. This leaves me in a predicament. As I dont want to poach, thats not my style. But these boys would be usefull acquistions for my team, so what do I do?

Re: Poaching?

You should take these kids to your club. You are not poaching but rescuing kids from dropping out of football. I have been in the same prediciment I also informed the other manager as to why they have left. Keep going you are doing a grand job!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I currently coach an Under 11's team, during a recent game we scored what proved to be the winning goal at 2-1. It was a very tight game and was evenly contested. When we scored the opposing manager went beserk at this poor kid, screaming at him that he was solely responsible for the defeat. He cited that he turned his back at the key moment. I was appalled by this. At the end of the game I told him what I thought, he was not happy and said what the F*** has it got to do with me? So I told him that how will the boy learn to enjoy his football under those conditions, which again I received the same reply. When he had left I was approached by a set of opposition Parents who said they were impressed with what I had said, and if there sons could play for me next year. This leaves me in a predicament. As I dont want to poach, thats not my style. But these boys would be usefull acquistions for my team, so what do I do?

Ian....Well done for having the courage of your convictions and pointing out to this 'coach' the damage he could be doing, not only to the player in question but to the other players on both sides.The long term effect is to lose credibility within his team circle and judging by your comments this has already started.As for you being concerned about being accused of poaching,once again you show you have the correct attitude as there is nothing more frustrating for a good coach to have his players lured away. I think we have all suffered this to greater or lesser degrees.It appears to me that the parents in question have seen a coach with integrity and realised that they prefer their child to be in an enviorenment which will allow them to develop as opposed to being browbeaten or bullied. They have approached you don't forget so you cannot be accused of turning any players head.If this 'coach' was able to see his shortcomings ( let's be honest we all have them) and try and rectify them, then maybe parents wouldn't be looking to move their children.So don't feel bad Ian,celebrate the fact that if you continue along this path you will have even more players wanting to join and those you do have will enjoy their football and develop under your guidance.

Replying to:

Listen mate

I see this all the time. Guys like him should be kicked out. He is almost certainly not qualified. If you consider the happiness of the boys first then the subject of poaching is totally irrelevant. Sign them on.

Replying to: