Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ice out tactics

I've never fished the ice out before, but finally bought a boat and want to take my son out. I was planning on trolling mooselooks, DB Smelt and grey ghost/black ghost streamers. Is this a reasonable ice out approach? Any suggestions?

Re: ice out tactics

Hi Rick,Your approach is good. When trolling streamers the key is GO FAST 3-4 mph is good,use a GPS to know your true speed. When trolling DB Smelt, 1.8to 2.2mph is where you should be. Mooselook usually does not turn on until about 2 weeks after the ice clears. Rangeley lake has good fishing as soon as you can get a boat in the water.
Hope this helps
Tight lines
RAY

Thanks Ray-I appreciate it. Any favorite colors for DB smelt?

It seems like different day different color.but they all work. The key is to keep changing colors until you find the color of the day
Good luck
Tight lines
RayA

Thanks Ray-your advice is much appreciated! I'll let you know how it goes.
Tight lines-Rick

I've found that the pink and black tiger striped DB is a pretty hot lure, especially for salmon. I've hooked onto quite a few with that one