Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Fly Fisherman

On Monday August 10(this a.m.) I took 11 year old Tim and his dad up to a remote pond where I gave Tim a start up fly fishing lesson.The proper rod set up,all the knots needed and the correct mechanics of fly casting.Tim listened and watched intently and did very well with his casting. When we got in the boat he found it a little harder because he was now sitting.He managed some good casts and when he did he was rewarded with a strike. He hooked 4 fish,lost quite a few more and probably missed 15 to 20 as he was not quite fast enough on his setting of the hook. All in all I think we now have a new fly fisherman and after more practice will become quite good. This pond is back in the bush and holds litterly 1000's of native brook trout and has never been stocked. I have brought some new adult fly fishers to this pond and in a morning they can catch from 50 to 80 trout. These fish are not large the largest is in the 9" range. All fish caught are on dry flys.
Great fun for new to intermediate fly fisherman.
Tight lines
RAY

Re: New Fly Fisherman

I was one of those lucky adults who Ray took to this remote pond a few years ago. It was a great learning experience and got me off to a great start with my fly fishing. I highly recommend it. I was up at Rangeley Lake for the last two weeks of July this year. We caught quite a few good size brook trout on the lake while trolling at 40 to 50 feet with DB smelt. We did not catch any big salmon on the lake, but I did hook a big salmon fly fishing at Upper Dam with a streamer off the platform by the spillway.