Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spring Trolling On Rangely

I have been making an annual one week trip to Rangely for the past three years. This year will be starting May 16th and fish for a week. I typically troll tandem streamers on a six weight floating line, with about 8ft of 8lb. test mono. and no split shot or weight. I have had mixed success. I was wondering if I have the correct setup for trolling streamers on a fly rod this time of year, or if there is a better way. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: Spring Trolling On Rangely

If your not having luck with that set up try going to a full sinking line or a sinking tip. You may need to go a little deeper than you are, especially mid-day. Also, try using size 2 or 4 streamers non tandem. They are big enough and are better for the fish and may not twist your line so much if you have that problem.