Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
lead core and dead smelts

I have bought a spool of mason redicore trolling line and i would like to know what is the best rod and reel type to use.(as far as rod length and weight).I'm just worried that my twenty dollar combo isnt good enough.
I would also like to know what you recomend for smelt bait. Since live bait is not allowed in rangely lake, what is a good source of dead smelts? Should i use the one's that u can buy in a bag soaked in fermeldahyde, or should i buy live smelts and use them after they die?

Re: lead core and dead smelts

Go to the Rangeley Region Sports Shop on Main st. Rangeley and buy smelts there as they will work for you and they will answer your questions. As for the rod and reel the drag is everything, it needs to be smooth and sensitive. The rod is probably a medium action rod meant to cover many applications and again the reel drag is everything, used correctly will put big fish in the net.
Shaun Swain

Re: lead core and dead smelts

If you want to try some old school reels look up sal-trout reels they look like giant salt water reels but they work tremendously for lead core. They are hard to find but you will see them in uncle henrys time to time or on ebay. I use it with an 8 foot uglystick med action rod. I have had more success with this set up ....