Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ice Out

Hello Everyone,
The winter that wouldn't come in January will not leave in April. 18" of snow on the 5th another 12" this past week and 12 more last night.
I measured 26" of ice on the 9th and 22" yesterday with the top 6" being white and soft. The ice is melting and it will go out most likely the first week of May as opposed to a late April ice out. The long range forecast shows warming temperatures towards the end of this week and hopefully they will hold.
Tired of seeing the mud roll over the snowplow!
See you out there,
Shaun

Re: Ice Out

Nice to hear from you again Shaun. I am 3.5 hrs south in Claremont NH and I am on vacation the first full week of May for Turkey Hunting...I would like to make a trip to Rangeley for those big ice out Salmon. Do you think the ice will be gone by May 12th? and is the fishing really good so soon to ice out? Thanks, Bruce

Bruce,
It will be out by the 12th. I measured 19" yesterday with 14" being solid ice. That 14 is starting to turn color and I was 100 yds from open water caused by the current from Swain brook. There is a lot of water running into the lake and the major inlets are working on the ice as well. Ice out conditions rapidly change fish habitat with warming temps,oxygen content and light conditions. Smelts run up their tributaries at the same time causing an abundance of feed concentrated in shallow water. If you can be there exactly when all this is taking place and also have the right weather conditions topside you should have excellent ice out fishing.
See you out there,
Shaun

Thanks for the info. Shaun..

Hi just wondering if I can get an update on the ice conditions. We have a place in Greenvale Cove and was hoping to get some fishing in soon.

Thanks for any information you can provide to me.

How is Mooselook?